GTS 250 Power Question

hestermofet

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hey guys, I have recently bought a Palit GTS 250 gfx card and have a quick question.

The card has 2 6pin PCI-E power ports, but the cable that came with it only has 1 6pin connector that splits into 2 Molex connectors.

Is this powered right????

The card runs fine but I was just a tad curious

Thanks in advanced!!!!!!

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
If you are only using the single converted 6-pin connector, your card is not getting enough power. Furthermore, if your PSU does not have any 6-pin connectors, I highly recommend you buying a new PSU that supports the newer generation cards. For a GTS 250, you wouldn't need anything more than 550/600watts, but if you plan to SLI your cards, consider just a tad more power.

The card has 2 sockets which require you to have 2 6 pin PCIE power cables to plug into them.
Your Power supply should have these power cables on it to plug into the sockets.
They supply the adapter which is 2 Molex plugs converted to 1 PCIE plug because there are a lot of PSU's out there that have enough power to run a double socketed card but only have 1, 6 pin PCIE connector coming from the PSU. This is because having 2 sockets is a relatively new thing in the mainstream Graphics card market. So by providing the connector they are covering that possable need. They in no way have to supply this connector its just good business practice.

Now as skolpo said,

"If you are only using the single converted 6-pin connector, your card is not getting enough power. Furthermore, if your PSU does not have any 6-pin connectors, I highly recommend you buying a new PSU that supports the newer generation cards. For a GTS 250, you wouldn't need anything more than 550/600watts, but if you plan to SLI your cards, consider just a tad more power."

Mactronix :)

:) I thought i had been simplistic enough but i will try again.

1. if you buy a card that has 2 PCIE sockets then its up to you to make sure your Power supply has teh 2 6pin PCIE power cables needed to connect the card to the power it needs to run.
2. If you have got yourself a card that needs 2 power connectors and you find that you dont have enough power connectors even after using the cable provided, then sorry thats your fault for not checking in the first place.

Sounds to me like you have a PSU with 0 PCIE connectors and have used the addaptor to make 1 up ??
If thats correct then do you even have 2 more molex connectors left to make up another if you had another addaptor ??

Either way this still applies,

"If you are only using the single converted 6-pin connector, your card is not getting enough power. Furthermore, if your PSU does not have any 6-pin connectors, I highly recommend you buying a new PSU that supports the newer generation cards."

Mactronix

Will@tagg

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I have a simular problem. I am getting a GTX 285, and marked a 585W Oden as my power supplier...i have not bought yet, but i notice the GTX card requires 2x 6pin and the Odin only has 1 x 6 pin. Does this thread imply that the odin or GTX card will have an adapter?

Its the GPU that would come bundled with the adapter.
Dont know about Nvidia cards as i have never owned one. Are you buying online ? If so you should get a list of whats bundled, they do at newegg if you are in the US.

Personally i would take a look at a differant PSU that has the two connectors in the first place.

Mactronix