Question GTX 1000, RTX 2000 cards don't work past BIOS on X58 Sabertooth

ahalibut

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Almost threw this in the motherboard thread (possible BIOS issue), or the Win10 thread (possible driver issue), but here we are.

I am upgrading my X58 based battleship for the last time with some on-hand parts. It had been running 2 GTX 980s in SLI for almost 3 years and I wanted one last GPU upgrade before putting the components in a shadowbox on the wall for all time. My wife still games on this rig though (mostly WoW, Overwatch, , Dragon Age Inquisition, Vermintide 2, Warhammer DoW 3, etc.). The SLI setup is fine and I could return to it, but now I'm on a journey.

Behavior: Video in BIOS is good, once it boots to Windows the screen goes blank/black. I suspect it's waiting at the Win10 login screen.

Used DDU uninstaller between GPU swaps.

Win10 safe mode isn't visible: I suspect it's working, I just can't see it (same black/blank behavior as not safe mode).

Here is the attempted upgrade path:

1. MSI GTX 1080 ti Duke - failed
  2. MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X - failed
  3. Gigabyte RTX 2080 ti X - failed (just for troubleshooting and a laugh)
  4. reference Radeon Vega 56 - SUCCESS (currently in the rig).
I'd leave the Vega in there and call it good, but the monitor has G-sync, so it'd be cool to get either of the GTX 1080 cards to work.

Not an emergency, just an interesting puzzler. Any ideas?

Specs: 720w PSU, ASUS X58 Sabertooth mainboard, i7-950 processor, 24GB DDR3 at 1600 in triple channel, Win10 Pro 64-bit