[SOLVED] GTX 1050 ti 4GB upgrade

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Guys,

I have an old PC still working without any problems. Assembled in 2013 for my brother, i7 2600, DH67CL motherboard, 24GB DDR3 ram (4 slot), Adata 240GB SSD and Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB HDD, Antec 550 SMPS. (Some upgrades were done over the years) The old iBall case power button and front USB audio was not working, so I changed the cabin with Foxin FC-6609, this is the one local dealer had and others were not that good. I did not think I need to go overboard with fancy cabin for an old PC. Changed CPU cooler to Cooler Master one. This one has got a GTX 1050 ti 4GB graphics. It runs GTA V at high setting without any lag or stress to CPU, at idle temperature is at 35 celsius and under load it does cross 70 celsius, so cooling wise, things are fine. I am not a gamer, when I get some time I spend like half an hour or so.

Coming to the question, I found out that this system has Red Dead Redemption 2, I can play the game in low to mid settings, tweaked the settings best suited for 1050 TI. Is it worth upgrading GPU for a system this old? If yes, which one will be the ideal choices?

Last edited:
Solution
You've got a bit of a problem, to be honest. You want to play a 2 year-old AAA title on nearly 10 year-old hardware (CPU and mobo) in the same system as 4 year-old parts (GPU). Your CPU is already bottlenecking a limiting factor on your GPU a bit, depending on the game. That problem will only be exacerbated by upgrading your GPU. Luckily RDR2 is a GPU-intensive game, so you'll get some benefit from upgrading. Depending on your budget, the new RTX 3060ti will be a fantastic addition to your system, if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise the GTX 1660 / 1660ti are still great budget cards and will offer substantially more oomph than the 1050ti.

This can buy you some time, but if you want to play other games, especially more...

sterfri99

Reputable
Dec 9, 2016
You've got a bit of a problem, to be honest. You want to play a 2 year-old AAA title on nearly 10 year-old hardware (CPU and mobo) in the same system as 4 year-old parts (GPU). Your CPU is already bottlenecking a limiting factor on your GPU a bit, depending on the game. That problem will only be exacerbated by upgrading your GPU. Luckily RDR2 is a GPU-intensive game, so you'll get some benefit from upgrading. Depending on your budget, the new RTX 3060ti will be a fantastic addition to your system, if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise the GTX 1660 / 1660ti are still great budget cards and will offer substantially more oomph than the 1050ti.

This can buy you some time, but if you want to play other games, especially more CPU-demanding ones, then you won't have much choice. Unfortunately the 2600 isn't as viable as it once was for AAA titles, and will then definitely be the weak link in your system.
But upgrading your CPU will be expensive because any newer CPU worth buying (AMD or Intel) will require a new motherboard at this point. I personally wouldn't recommend buying a DDR3-compatible motherboard in 2020 just so you don't need to buy new RAM. Your options are limited to a select few LGA1151 motherboards if you want something new-ish with DDR3 support. Depending on your budget, buying newer (but still outdated) used parts cheap is always an option, depending on how comfortable you are taking on that risk.

This is all opinion, but I'd do CPU/mobo/RAM first... and then upgrade GPU.

I hope this helped. If you have further questions, I'll check back in again tomorrow

Reactions: aoc00
Solution
Guys,

I have an old PC still working without any problems. Assembled in 2013 for my brother, i7 2600, DH67CL motherboard, 24GB DDR3 ram (4 slot), Adata 240GB SSD and Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB HDD, Antec 550 SMPS. (Some upgrades were done over the years) The old iBall case power button and front USB audio was not working, so I changed the cabin with Foxin FC-6609, this is the one local dealer had and others were not that good. I did not think I need to go overboard with fancy cabin for an old PC. Changed CPU cooler to Cooler Master one. This one has got a GTX 1050 ti 4GB graphics. It runs GTA V at high setting without any lad or stress to CPU, at idle temperature is at 35 celsius and under load it does cross 70 celsius, so cooling wise, things are fine. I am not a gamer, when I get some time I spend like half an hour or so.

Coming to the question, I found out that this system has Red Dead Redemption 2, I can play the game in low to mid settings, tweaked the settings best suited for 1050 TI. Is it worth upgrading GPU for a system this old? If yes, which one will be the ideal choices?
The most important component in your system is the power supply. Before you upgrade anything in the system, your power supply has to be evaluated. What is the model of your Antec PSU and how many years has it been in service?

Reactions: aoc00

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
You've got a bit of a problem, to be honest.

This is all opinion, but I'd do CPU/mobo/RAM first... and then upgrade GPU.

I hope this helped. If you have further questions, I'll check back in again tomorrow

The most important component in your system is the power supply. Before you upgrade anything in the system, your power supply has to be evaluated. What is the model of your Antec PSU and how many years has it been in service?

Thanks a lot for the reply, guys, much appreciated.

sterfri99, I agree with you completely, it does not make any sense doing anything with that system configuration and it will be a complete waste of money in 2020. Like I mentioned, I am not a gamer and this is not a priority, I don't plan on playing anything other than RDR2 for the time being. I have moved on to powerful laptops and mobility is important to me now. Since this system works fine and have enough juice to do normal browsing, watching videos and play old AAA games, I will just see if I can get a 1660 ti, do you think this GPU will bottleneck? When situation demands, I will assemble a PC with best configuration at the time.

Archaic59, the SMPS I have is the Antec VP550P Plus 550 Watt 80 Plus Non-Modular Gaming Power Supply and it is just an year old one. Original one lasted for almost 6 years. Only in the initial years this PC was used on regular basis, now someone at home uses it once in a while, including me. Do you think I need to change SMPS if I am to go for 1660 ti?