Gtx 1050 ti + i5 8400, games crashing, bottleneck or TV hdmi monitor problem?

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
My games are suddenly crashing. Playing for like 10 minutes, game stutters then suddenly stops and crash to desktop sometimes goes to black screen and also sometimes my tv monitor changes to a lower resolution and a different refresh rate by itself (from 1080p to 480p, from 60hz to 75hz to black screen). Btw I'm using a tv as a monitor connected via hdmi. Desktop applications are fine just not in games.

So, these are my specs:
Mobo - Asus ROG Strix Z370 F Gaming
CPU - intel i5 8400
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC Windforce
RAM - T-Force DELTA RGB 2x4GB
PSU - Corsair VS550 550W

Ps. For those who says this gpu and cpu combo is a bottleneck, yes i agree. But my friend and some other people use this combo and it's fine they have no crash or whatsoever.

Games I've tested:
Assassin's Creed Origins
NFS Payback
Far Cry 5 (longer gameplay before crashing)
League of Legends (crash on loading screen but fixed when i installed some of the drivers of ASUS)
Vampyr (no crashes)
Torchlight 2 (no crashes)
Nier Automata

I tried a lot of things. I googled and found solutions like audio output problems of HDMI on TV are in conflict with the output sound of the pc. So i disabled some audio drivers that are in conflict. I also found disabling the turbo mode via BIOS may solve the problem. Tried them but the crash still goes on.

What I've also done is updated/reinstalled the:
Nvidia driver
Intel integrated gpu
Audio drivers
Motherboard drivers
Flashed BIOS version

Also I've run tests on my CPU and GPU with prime95 and furmark with no errors. Temps are normal.

What can you suggest i do? Please help me solve it before the release of Monster Hunter World. I'm guessing it has something to do with the TV as my monitor because it changes resolution and refresh rate before going full black screen then reboot is the only solution (I don't have a pc monitor yet so i can't verify it this way). Or is it the nvidia setting under display settings. Or audio settings. Or turbo boost mode of the motherboard and cpu. I don't know so this is me asking the pros.

Should you want to contact me via email: seankarlooo@gmail.com

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
We try. Issues like these are quite difficult.

(crash on loading screen but fixed when i installed some of the drivers of ASUS)
Did installing motherboard drivers improve things the same way for other games like it did for LoL? What drivers were they?

Perhaps increase pagefile size, 1.5x of your ram, so your 8GB, set a custom size of at least 12GB. Maybe shoot for more like 20GB. Initial size 6GB and maximum of 20GB.
Virtual-Memory-dialog-box-inside-of-Windows-10.jpg

I suggested unchecking some startup programs via msconfig, have you done that at all?

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

I'm on windows 10. I'll try that and give you an update

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Update: tried to run those games in my Intel GPU, and there were no crashes. So it goes down to the gtx 1050 ti having problems.

What i don't understand is that i have tested my GPU with 3dmark and other software with zero crashes and zero errors.

So what to do now? Is it a problem with nvidia settings? Or gpu doesnt have enough power from psu? Or does it have to do with "XMP" profile of the ram?

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

It seems that downgrading the driver works. But i haven't tried playing for extended period of time because of work so i can't say it's perfectly working. The problem now is how will i stay updated if I'm stuck at 391.35 version of the driver?

From the sounds of it it was most probably a bad driver causing the crashes. My preferred method of handling things is stop windows from updating drivers on its own, I use DDU in safe mode and clean install the latest driver package. Wait for the next release of nvidia drivers and try them out-its best if you stay up to date manually rather than have the system do it for you.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

See how you go. Can always try your luck and update again following Greeko's steps.

The latest drivers i tried (all 397xx) at the time were dodgy for me but im on Win7. The consistent problem i had with these drivers was after playing a game and exiting to desktop would feel sluggish and dragging a window in circles would be choppy, games however played fine. 391.35 driver doesn't have this problem and is the reason im still on it now. Will try 398 driver eventually when ive got nothing else to do. So in saying that, Win10 might have problems too but of a different sort of dodgy :)

Don't necessarily need to have the latest updates if everything is working unless a game requires it or theres bug fixes. Other than that theres no real reason most of the time and can remain on the same driver for some time without problems. Sometimes latest drivers can also break stuff too.

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

I have one last question, when i install a driver is it okay to select only the physx and the driver itself? I didn't select the 3d vision, hd audio, etc. I feel that it's a bloatware for me. Or ishould install them for better performance?

From memory I only install the driver, PhysX and the audio driver (I think its required for audio through the gpu connection). The 3d vision ones are not needed if you aren't using a 3d capable display and as far as nvidia experience is concerned I ain't a fan.

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

hi it's me again. i unselected the solution of installing 391.35 nvidia driver because earlier i tried playing longer and there it is, again, crash to desktop without error popping up.

here is my 3dmark test and hwinfo64 while running 3dmark, and my speccy maybe it can help you find a better solution

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27657039
https://ibb.co/kFJ5My
https://ibb.co/nP0Kgy
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4TWvZQlvu68hbEgPoG4K8VW

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

still the same, tried playing longer with 391.35 installed. crash still occurs without any errors popping out. what is the problem of my system? im desperate to find a solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry to see the problem is still there and thanks for the pics.

It's difficult to say whats wrong. Temps are good and everything looks normal. There is a lot of running processes though but that might be normal. Would it be possible theres a background running program thats causing your issue? Have you done malware scans with malwarebytes?

Other things to try

*Test memory: https://www.memtest86.com/

*msconfig > startup tab and unselect items to troubleshoot

*Windows reinstall. If you have a spare hdd to try a reinstall on would be handy. Windows 10 activates online so don't need a key and if you do try to reinstall Windows on another hdd, disconnect your current drive to prevent the possibility Win10 putting boot loader information on there. People have been caught out removing secondary drives and system wont boot.

---

If you can kind of time when the crashes happen, alt tab and check task manager resources and assort order to largest and see if anything pops out at you.

In your original post with games tried, has any of that changed or?

Far Cry 5 (longer gameplay before crashing)
League of Legends (crash on loading screen but fixed when i installed some of the drivers of ASUS) Which drivers? and have you tried reinstalling those drivers incase Win10 happened to install it's own driver later as Win10 tends to do automatically.

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

memtest86 finished with no errors
no changes on games
i didnt connect to the internet after installing 391.35 nvidia so that windows cannot update the drivers automatically but still the problem didnt change

maybe i'll try to reinstall windows in another time. reinstalling an os takes up so much time and it's just so.. oh god.. i dont wanna do it again. i know you pros can solve this without reinstalling the os. my system is new. the windows 10 installed here is fresh and updated so..

boju

Titan
Ambassador
We try. Issues like these are quite difficult.

(crash on loading screen but fixed when i installed some of the drivers of ASUS)
Did installing motherboard drivers improve things the same way for other games like it did for LoL? What drivers were they?

Perhaps increase pagefile size, 1.5x of your ram, so your 8GB, set a custom size of at least 12GB. Maybe shoot for more like 20GB. Initial size 6GB and maximum of 20GB.
Virtual-Memory-dialog-box-inside-of-Windows-10.jpg

I suggested unchecking some startup programs via msconfig, have you done that at all?

Solution

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Selecting "system managed" in virtual memory setting solved this
Frustrating problem thanks for giving me a clue

Feb 13, 2019

Selecting "system managed" in virtual memory setting solved this
Frustrating problem thanks for giving me a clue
i have same specs i managed all the virtual memory but still crashing please help me.

When you get it all working turn on system protection and take a user system checkpoint.
If strange things happen, you have a chance to go back to when all was well.
Do so before you do a windows update also.

As to selective nvidia driver install, I do a selective install all the time.
I do not use PhysX, or 3d and I do not run the nvidia experience either.
I do keep sound so if my sound system should fail, I can at least use the crummy speakers on my monitor.