GTX 1050 Ti Overclock Pointers, Please

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I have this GTX 1050 Ti. http://
It has a 6-pin header and I have a Evga W1 500W PSU.
What do I need to do to OC? Just increase the core clock until it starts to artifact or crash? Any help or starter numbers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
With an OC'd CPU, there's no way to say definitively based on that info alone.

OC's are not linear, so ~15% OC will likely result in a minimum 25-30% TDP increase....potentially more.

So, yeah, 125W probably is in the right ballpark.

Generally speaking, there's minimal headroom on any 1050TI - especially ones that have a decent factory OC.

A modest clocked 1050TI may have 6-7% OCing headroom, but that's the best I've seen achieved in normal conditions on a 'stock' (from the factory) GPU.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Pretty much. Using something like MSI Afterburner

Increase core &/or memory and stress test.

You may be able to increase the power & temperature target(s)... but not 100% if those are locked down on a 1050TI since the TDP is 75W via PCIe power.

What is the balance of your components? The W1 isn't great.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Hi. Thanks for responding. Yes, the Evga isn't the best, but I figured it was fine for a card that only recommends a 300W PSU. The rest of the system is:
Phenom II X4 960T @ 3.9 GHz
Asus M4A79XTD EVO
2x4GB + 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz
212 EVO cooler.
SSD/HDD/DVD

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With an OC'd CPU, there's no way to say definitively based on that info alone.

OC's are not linear, so ~15% OC will likely result in a minimum 25-30% TDP increase....potentially more.

So, yeah, 125W probably is in the right ballpark.

Generally speaking, there's minimal headroom on any 1050TI - especially ones that have a decent factory OC.

A modest clocked 1050TI may have 6-7% OCing headroom, but that's the best I've seen achieved in normal conditions on a 'stock' (from the factory) GPU.

Solution

vadim_m

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Download MSI Afterburner for OCing, Furmark and Unigine Valley for stability testing.
Bump voltage and power limit to the max and OC core in ~10 MHz increments, memory in ~50. Don't worry about burning your chip since nvidia cards have strict voltage cap and REAL overclock is available only through volt-mod. There is big chance that core will OC till ~1900 so don't be hesitant OCing core.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017

Hey, thanks. I didn't even think about the VRAM. And good to know about the voltage.
But I kinda like Evga Precision. Can I do the same with it instead of using MSI AB?