Question GTX 1050 working on old motherboard but not on new one ?

Hentrox

Commendable
Jan 7, 2020
CPU: i5-10400
Motherboard: Asrock B560m-itx/ac
Ram: PNY 2x8GB 2666mhz
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX500 2.5" 500gb ssd
GPU: Asus Expedition GTX 1050 2gb
PSU: Corsair rm550x
Chassis: Silverstone sugo8
Monitor: aoc 24g2

Hi guys, there is a bit of explaining to do, so strap in.

So I've got a i5-10400 + ASRock B560m-itx/ac build which was just working with gt 1030 in it. I sold the 1030 and purchased a second hand gtx 1050 (ASUS Expedition model: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Expedition/EX-GTX1050-2G/). When I plug the 1050 into my mobo and turn on my PC the monitor seems to turn on (whole screen is black color) and then turn off and it says 'no signal'. The fans of the 1050 briefly spin up then turn off after like 1-2 seconds.

I cleared the cmos.

I took the gpu out, booted into bios using igpu turned on multi GPU monitor option or whatever it's called - forces igpu to be on all the time so you can use both igpu and dedicated gpu for display outputs I think (without this option enabled it wouldn't work when display cable was plugged into igpu while the 1050 was installed). Then I plugged the 1050 back in and booted into windows using the igpu. I went into device manager and under UHD 630 in display adapters was 'microsoft basic display adapter. I think it was at this point that my PC blue screened, I can't remember the exact error that it said.

After this is wouldn't show any output from the igpu when the 1050 was installed.

Next, I went into the bios (with the 1050 removed, obviously) and changed the primary display adapter to onboard graphics. Then reinstalled the 1050. This caused the PC to boot using the igpu. This time I think I went into device manager and right clicked on the Microsoft basic display adapter and clicked update drivers > search the web option. And then while this was doing it's thing the PC crashed.

So I went around to the guys house who sold it to me and he showed that it worked fine on his PC (it showed as a 1050 on Nvidia control panel and I ran msi kombustor on it and it worked fine). His PC was much older though, I can't remember the motherboard model but I think his CPU was a 2nd generation Intel one. He was running windows 10, not that that should matter. One thing I did notice, although I don't know how this would make a difference, is that he was using the DVI connector - I tried the HDMI and DisplayPort. He said he had a sold a few of these exact cards to other people and it worked fine for them - he said he bought several PC from someone which all had these gpus in them.

He had two on hand and both of them failed the same way in my PC and worked in his. They were in excellent, almost looking new condition, and had tamper sticker on die screw.

Next thing I wondered was, maybe, these were some wish.com gpus (the ones they list as higher models but in fact they have old gpus under the heatsink, like gtx 660 for example, LTT did a video about these I think) anyway this seemed like a long shot because the gpus didn't look at all like something that was made by a jank factory, they looked very very genuine. Anyway I took the cooler off and infact yes they were genuine Nvidia gpus, GP107 if I remember correctly.

I'm a bit lost for ideas at this point. I've messaged the seller to send me a photo of the information on GPU-Z in case the bios is some unofficial miner one.. I don't really know..

What could possibly explain the why the gpu does what it does on my PC but appears to work perfectly fine on the sellers PC?

Obviously, it's possible that theres a hardware issue with my motherboard but I just had a gt 1030 in it running fine..

EDIT: UPDATE:
I booted into windows with the 1050 installed (monitor plugged into iGPU - iGPU selected as primary graphics adapter in bios) and used DDU to remove gt 1030 nvidia drivers. Then all of sudden the 1050 appears as a gtx 1050 in device manager. I then took the displayport out of the motherboard/igpu and plugged it into the 1050 and it worked. Tested MSI Kombustor and it works fine. Then I restarted system with displayport cable plugged into 1050 and there was no signal and the pc seemed like it was constantly restarting itself over and over again, like the fan would start then stop and psu would click off then it would restart again and keyboard and mouse and screen would briefly light up and then do it all of over again...

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

How old is the PSU in your build? BIOS version for your motherboard? Can you get display off the iGPU without the discrete GPU populating your motherboard's PCIe slot?

Hentrox

Commendable
Jan 7, 2020
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

How old is the PSU in your build? BIOS version for your motherboard? Can you get display off the iGPU without the discrete GPU populating your motherboard's PCIe slot?

Changes have been made.

PSU is about 2 months old. BIOS version is 1.90. Yes, I can get display off iGPU without gpu(1050) populating my motherboard's pcie slot - this is evident in post.