gtx 1060 3 gig video card

bookout1958

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
i want the best monitor for my gaming rig...around $400.00 to $600.00...i have the msi Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MOTHERBOARD...I7-6700K CPU...32 GIGS MEMORY..SAMSUNG 960 EVO 250 GIG M.2 SSD..COUGER 1000 WATT POWER SUPPLY...MSI GTX 1060 3GIG VIDEO CARD..i would like some help on best monitor for gaming and television...i want 30" or over monitor around $400.00 to $600.00...can someone help me with this?

bookout1958

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
thank you vapour...i went to the amazon site you posted to me and it went here...is this the one you recomVIOTEK GN32Q – 32 Inch WQHD 144 Hz Curved Computer Monitor – 2560x1440p, FPS/RTS Optimized w/ Crosshairs Functionality mend?..it isnt 1080 but it is this..i really like it but it isnt 1080...is this the one you recomend...

The best monitor for that money is going to be a 1440p monitor. Which one depends on your goals and willingness to upgrade.
But a few basics.
Don't buy any monitor without reviews. Goodness only knows what you'll get.
Don't buy any monitor without detailed technical info. You must know: does it use PWM? what is the input latency like? What sort of panel is it, and what is the model number of that panel (different panels have very different traits).
If you are going to do photo or video editing, 3d modeling, etc then you want a flat panel as the curves screw with your perception just a little (I tried several curved)
Also I suggest 16:9 is the best format right now. Content is made in this format. Ultra-wides have serious immersion breaks when they show a cut scene (as those are 16:9 while the game on that screen would be 21:9
PWM is a lower cost method of dimming the screen which strobes the backlighting. This gives some people (like me) very bad headaches and leads to increased eyestrain in just about everyone.

You can experiment with the off-off brands like the one Vapour suggested. Some like them because they are cheaper than the main brands with similar features. It does have an interesting feature set, and an odd copper color to boot. However even a 1080ti won't just rock with this monitor. It does not support g-sync and so to hit 144hz at 1440p you're going to have to have a graphics card capable of the same amount of data as running 4k at around 75hz... or you're going to have to ignore the specs and run the monitor at a slower refresh rate. Other than that it almost certainly uses PWM, seems to be a good monitor.
I would not buy this monitor. But I can see why some would.

This is the monitor you really want:
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor
Which is just as impractical as Vapours suggestion. This one would work and meet all your goals but the current MSRP is around 850, so hugely over budget.

This is the best value right now in a high end monitor
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM3270QP2-LED-Lit-monitor-2560x1440/dp/B01LXPX9I4/
It is on sale for 310. It is 60hz. It is 10bit colors (very good). It is 1440p. Much clearer text than on every curved monitor currently on the market. It does not use PWM. I does not have g-sync (but at 60hz, not such a problem as it is at 144hz). It has an exception stand with good movement, even allows for veritcal use. I tried several ultra-wides and several more expensive 32" screens before buying this. I bought one for work. Then one for home. People at work have now largely adopted this as the high end model (a dozen bought). The only kinda strike is that it is a VA panel. This means it has three times as much contrast as an IPS or TN panel but there is a subtle color shift depending on viewing angle. If I sit in front of it and sway back and forth I can see the portions further from me become slightly less saturated. If I am not swaying back and forth, I don't notice it.
Your 1060 3gb card "might" be fast enough for this monitor (I suspect something just a little faster is needed), like a gtx 970 or 1070.

The problem is that there are no monitors like the LG I linked to above currently on the market. (the LG is supposed to be for sale any day now, which probably means any week now).
Here is a list of monitors with g-sync:
https://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-g-sync-monitors/
So the g-sync ones aren't really an option, none actually for sale.
What about the AMD side? Well their fastest video card is fast enough. The vega 64 is slower than a gtx 1080, so 144+ fps at 1440p is not going to happen unless you spring for two of them and that game supports crossfire. But then you run in to other problems. Those cards are crazy power hungry (410w under load) and crazy hot too. So you need a much larger PSU and much better cooled case to do when a single 1080ti can do. I thought about, but decided no... there are some who would have gone with "yes". What I'm going to do is use the monitor I got (32" Philips) for a while and wait for the 32"-35" g-sync models to become more readily available. Wait for the resulting price drop and some reviews and then decide if I want g-sync enough to uprgade again.

Another option if you want to go B I G is this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/477072/et430k_43_uhd_led_display_monitor
It is a 43" IPS screen, 10bit, 60hz. For the amazing price of 500 bucks. Only real strike on this one is that it has some issues with ghosting. This means when you open a high contrast document such as a word file there is a faint but clearly visible ghost of the image left behind. This ghost does fade in a little bit. Movies and fast moving scenes seem to make the ghosting fade faster.
Your current graphics card will not be fast enough to game at 4k. At a minimum you should upgrade to a 1070ti (and overclock it) or a 1080 or 1080ti.

bookout1958

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
thank you vapour... i really appreciate your feedback...i think i might go with the first choice you gave me with the 2K since i will be upgrading my video card soon...ill let you know what i pick...thanks again mr vapour...

bookout1958

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
ah thanks bjornl...im getting some really good answers..i will take time and research my choice...but i do think i go with the 2K...since ill be upgrading video card...thanks..

You're welcome. I prefer 1440p monitors as well. I still own a 4k, but I use it to keep my mail open and as a 2nd monitor.

Which card you upgrade to will in large part make sense out of which monitor to buy. I included a couple of common "oh oh's" people buying monitors sometimes fall in to. (eg: PWM).

If you want to read some nicely detailed monitor reviews, there are some here (at tom's) as well as some at most hardware sites (anand's, etc). but the best ones I've read are on
pcmonitor.info
and
tftcentral.co.uk

I am suspicious of the brand. They are brand new. They do not publish the full specs on their monitors. No trustworthy reviews on them either. It is tempting but if you like curves then:
https://www.amazon.com/Designo-MX34VQ-Adaptive-Sync-Wireless-Frameless/dp/B01N4UQIGT/
Is the one with the best reviews for image quality.

This one is close, and is the one I would buy if I liked curved:
https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG352UCG-Curved-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06X9CBRTP/
I would buy this one because it has g-sync, which I've seen in use and am now a big believer in. It works better than free-sync but adds 200 to the cost.

If you check pcmonitor.info and tftcentral.co.uk, those two sites have the best detailed monitor reviews. The first couple of times you read one it will take some time.

A value buy is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC79G-B-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01LW5CGIS/
It is lower res, which is good and bad. Good because you need a less powerful graphics card. Bad because the images will be less detailed. This monitor would work well with something like a Vega 56
Cheaper still:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM69G-B-34-Inch-UltraWide-Reduction/dp/B06XFXX5JH/
The primary difference is that this one has a 75hz refresh rate. It is also under $400. To me 75hz is enough. This would work well with a rx 570 or better the rx 580

TRENDING THREADS