Question GTX 1060 3GB at 88°C/99% on Overwatch low settings??

Dec 4, 2020
Hey guys! I recently I upgraded my old i5 2320, 6gb ram, and a MSI B75MA-E33 motherboard into to a Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB 3600mhz RAM and MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi.

The parts I kept in my old setup was my GTX 1060 3GB, 520W PSU, boot drive, storage and the case.

In my old setup, my GPU was usually 57°C to 62°C in Overwatch low settings 1080p.

However in my new setup, my GPU is reaching 80°C to 86°C in the exact same settings. I used GeForce Performance Monitoring and HWMonitor and it recorded a max of 88°C at 99% GPU usage. Here is a HWMonitor screenshot I took during a middle of a match.

More info:
  • My case layout has not changed at all. Has decent airflow (1 intake fan, 1 exhaust fan). Room temp is about 18°C.
  • My GPU is Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB
  • I have enabled XMP Profile 1
  • -I am using the latest Nvidia driver
  • -CPU and GPU are not overclocked or modified
  • I am keeping my 1060 until 3080 gpus become more stable in stock.
  • I know in that screenshot it shows CPU at all 100%, but HWMonitor is a bit weird and known to have problems with Ryzen CPUs so I am not to worried about it.
When I went to see other gameplay footage online with the same GPU with modern specs at the same settings, they usually around ~71°C (referring to this video). I don't really understand what exactly is going on. Is this normal/nothing to worry about? Is my GPU heating this much because my CPU is really powerful and my GPU is bottlenecking the CPU? Do I need to get my GPU repaired? Do I just need better airflow (get more case fans)? Any help will be appreciated.

At the moment, I am using msi afterburner to put max temps at 83°C as temporarily solution.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I noticed you have a 520W PSU, is that the one made by Seasonic? If so, is it the M12II or the S12II? How old is the unit? Did you reinstall your OS after the migration from the old to the new platform?

Assuming at 99% cpu usage your fps is unlimited in overwatch then the fact is your gpu is being pushed harder because the 5600x is capable of 300fps+ whereas your old cpu would have been way more limited.

I highly doubt that with that old 2320 you were anywhere near hitting 100% gpu usage.

Add in the fact that your case cooling doesn't sound spectacular and the 1060 is an old card so it's probably thermally compromised to some extent.

That guy on youtube has an mb500 case which is mesh fronted and comes with 3 fans out of the box - he likely has better airflow than you.

Best thing you can do is put a fps limit in overwatch to bring down total gpu usage.

Feb 8, 2021
Hey guys! I recently I upgraded my old i5 2320, 6gb ram, and a MSI B75MA-E33 motherboard into to a Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB 3600mhz RAM and MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi.

The parts I kept in my old setup was my GTX 1060 3GB, 520W PSU, boot drive, storage and the case.

In my old setup, my GPU was usually 57°C to 62°C in Overwatch low settings 1080p.

However in my new setup, my GPU is reaching 80°C to 86°C in the exact same settings. I used GeForce Performance Monitoring and HWMonitor and it recorded a max of 88°C at 99% GPU usage. Here is a HWMonitor screenshot I took during a middle of a match.

More info:
  • My case layout has not changed at all. Has decent airflow (1 intake fan, 1 exhaust fan). Room temp is about 18°C.
  • I know in that screenshot it shows CPU at all 100%, but HWMonitor is a bit weird and known to have problems with Ryzen CPUs so I am not to worried about it.
When I went to see other gameplay footage online with the same GPU with modern specs at the same settings, they usually around ~71°C (referring to this video). I don't really understand what exactly is going on. Is this normal/nothing to worry about? Is my GPU heating this much because my CPU is really powerful and my GPU is bottlenecking the CPU? Do I need to get my GPU repaired? Do I just need better airflow (get more case fans)? Any help will be appreciated.

At the moment, I am using msi afterburner to put max temps at 83°C as temporarily solution.

Hey, got the same 1060 3gb card as you and thinking of buying the same cpu. Can you please tell me what fps you were hitting before and after the cpu upgrade? I was hoping to get 240fps stable without dips and I think it's my cpu bounding me. I play on low and 1080p.

slippers1690

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016

More info:

Hi i have the same card gtx 1060 3gb and i can run world of warships to max settings.
Try another psu with at least 700w
When installing new card normally it would be, install card and reinstall drivers but with windows 10 you need to install win10 then install the graphic drivers for some reason.
That's what i had to do when i got the gtx1060.
Your cpu should handle the process much better than mine as i have ryzen 5 1600 3.4ghz.