GTX 1060 and HDMI to VGA not working

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
My daughter just got two obsolete VGA (only) monitors from a friend which she wants to use as a second and third monitor for her gaming rig. The graphics card is a GTX 1060. To hook them up, I bought an active DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and an active HDMI to VGA adapter. The DP to VGA adapter works perfectly fine but I can't get the HDMI to VGA to work. This is the one I bought:

9200000076843042.jpg

At first I thought the adapter was defective, so I bought another one. But that one didn't work either. To test further, I connected the adapter + monitor to my laptop's HDMI output and sure enough, that did work telling me the adapters were not defective.

So what exactly could be causing these adapters to work on my laptop, but not on the GTX 1060?

Solution
I reassembled the adapter and I now have a USB powered HDMI to VGA adapter: :)

IMAG1589.jpg

I plugged it into the computer, hooked up the monitor and my daughter now as a three monitor gaming rig! :D :D :D

IMAG1594.jpg

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Solution

I was looking around on the interwebs to see if there were any other adapters for sale I could try and noticed there were also powered adapters available. So I suspected this adapter simply needed more power than was provided by the HDMI port of the GTX 1060. So I wanted to power the adapter of the USB port instead. So the first thing I did was open up the adapter:

IMAG1575.jpg

I then cut the +5V wire of the HDMI (which is pin 18 according to the HDMI pin out):

IMAG1578.jpg

I happened to have one of these laying around (a USB to 5V plug cable):

IMAG1579.jpg

I cut off the plug and stripped the two wires:

IMAG1581.jpg

I checked with my multimeter which was + and which was - (turned out that white was - and the not so white was +).

(continued in next post because apparently, there's an image per post limit)

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Next I drilled a small hole in the adapter's casing to feed the USB cable through:

IMAG1582.jpg

I then soldered the wires as follows:

IMAG1586.jpg

I had to cut away a corner of the rubbery thingy inside (that holds the circuit board in place inside the casing) to feed the USB wire through:

IMAG1587.jpg

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
I reassembled the adapter and I now have a USB powered HDMI to VGA adapter: :)

IMAG1589.jpg

I plugged it into the computer, hooked up the monitor and my daughter now as a three monitor gaming rig! :D :D :D

IMAG1594.jpg

Solution