gtx 1060 not getting enough fps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rmn726

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi,
I have experiencing some problems while gaming.
I am not getting enough fps with my setup. My specs are:
I5 4440
Z97-k mobo
Strix gtx 1060 6g gaming
Hyperx 20xx MHz 8 gb single dimm.
Antec VP 500pc.
I am playing metro last light redux with 25 to 33 fps.
Gta 5 with 40+ fps
Max Payne 3 with 50 to 70 fps.
I am not getting the point where is wrong I should get much better fps in these games with my setup.
While playing my CPU and gpu loads are 100%.
Gpuz shows max power 120%tdp.
Temp never goes upto 65c for CPU and 68c for gpu.
And one strange thing is gpuz shows PCIE x16 2.0 instead of 3.0(if it is a problem)
But I already updated my motherboard and gpu drivers to be latest.

rmn726

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Thanks to you cmos is cleared bios is all set and gpuz is now showing pciex16 3.0.
But the performance is same as before I think that this is it that's the performance my system can give me atmost. So thanks a lot for helping throughout the process.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the PCI-E transfer mode. It's been proven that even PCI-E 2.0 X8 provides plenty of bandwidth to service graphics cards. In fact I remember reading an article where they masked off the data paths on the card edge and found there was no significant scaling of performance right down to PCI-E X4. I've read that Haswell and Devil's canyon have errata from Intel specifying issues with PCI-E errors at PCI-E 3.0. So this could be why your system falls back to PCI-E 2.0, it's having to resend data too many times so it drops back to a more stable version.

rmn726

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

Yes I know that but it has to be something else because my CPU is not that bad take a look how much fps I get while playing(op)

rmn726

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

Sorry for late reply.
I know you are trying to help me but that is too much data for me I only have limited plan.
Any other measure that I can provide?

had a closer look at the valley benchmark and it should be ok:
http://www.pcfrm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/VALLEY.png

another thread starter has problems like you too, with just using single ram and already ordered another Ram for dual channel. If he gets back to us and reports better performance ingame, you should do the same

the i5-4440 will bottleneck a bit, but not that much, just a view frames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQgrHhc8o0Y

vsync is deactivated?

the CPU clocks how high ingame?

rmn726

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
All four cores running at 3366mhz and mostly between 90 to 100%.
I am using adaptive vsync.
And could you please provide me the link to thread you just mention.
And one thing I wanted to ask if my gpu uses 120% of tdp that means it working on its full potential w/o overclocking?

test without adaptive vsync

the link of the other thread is:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3183799/lagspikes-gtx-1070-problem.html

120% is the Power Limit the manufacturer set for your graphics card. The card is allowed to enhance its turbo frequency as much as the power limit provides it. that´s the cause that sometimes the turbo core may be higher than in other situations.
Yes it means it´s working on its full potential without overclocking.