GTX 1060 on a 300w powersupply without 6pin connector

davidvanherteryck

Prominent
Aug 22, 2018
Hello,
Today I bought myself a fairly decent computer with an i5 6600 and 8gb of DDR4 ram (single stick). It came bundled with a Quadro K420 gpu. I'd like to switch the card for a gtx 1060 3gb version, However, I'm not to sure if the 300W PSU could power the card. I can't go and get myself a new psu since the fujitsu computer has proprietary motherboard connections.
Would the psu be able to power the gtx 1060 using one of those SATA to PCI power cables?
The psu is an all 12v psu with 17A on rail one and 17A on rail 2

Thanks in advance for your answers!

If a psu does not have a 6 pin connector, it likely does not have the ability to support one with molex/sata adpters.
Consider that the pcie slot itself can deliver 75w, as can the 6 pin connector.
Then, the i5-6600 is a 65w tdp chip.

If you try, the danger is not that it won't work. It might.
The danger is that when pushed under load, the psu can fail and will not have the circuitry to protect your other parts from damage.

A GTX1050ti is probably the best you can do without a new psu.

A nice looking pc.

I would buy an EVGA GTX1050ti new from an authorized seller.
EVGA has a 90 day trade up option if you should find the card lacking.
If you found out you wanted something stronger, you could buy a stronger psu and trade up on the graphics card.
Read the evga small print on the program; you need to register the product promptly and upload your invoice so they know how much to allow on a trade.

The spec sheet shows two models, one with a 500w psu and one with a 300w psu.
Apparently, the OP has the 300w psu which has no 6 pin power lead.
https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-CELSIUS-W550.pdf

davidvanherteryck

Prominent
Aug 22, 2018

I previously owned a desktop with a gtx 1060 which I actually then sold;
If I could I would switch out the psu and pair the computer with a 1060 but the problem is it has special ports on the motherboard that normal psu's don't have (e.g. it has a 16 pin instead of a 24pin, and a odd looking connector labled "PC2015" [it is small, has 8 pins, but only 3 cables go in] ). Also, the sata power doesn't come from the psu itself as on normal computers/psu's , but comes from the motherboard itself, using a 8pin connector.

It's one of the oddest computers i've ever owned.