GTX 1060 or RX 480?

Joewalk11

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Ok, Ive been looking for a graphics card to go with my new PC build, The graphic cards in question are of course the GTX 1060 6gb and the RX 480 8gb, They will both cost me the exact same amount where I live so its just which one will perform better, I'll be playing games such as CS:GO, Rust, BF1, GTA V, Titanfall 2, Escape from Tarkov ( If it turns out to be good ) and maybe DayZ...So Just wondering which GPU will perform better in these titles.

Thanks in Advance!

Solution
For the first 4 months or so of the launch of the GTX 1060, the RX 480 was the underdog. Initially, the 480 had PCI-E power draw problems, some overheating issues, exploding PCBs, and more importantly, not-so-good performance in DX11 AAA titles. The GTX 1060 had a relatively smooth launch. However, the tables are turning now. DX12 and Vulkan, both of which are said to be the APIs of the future, run much better on the 480 at both 1080 and 1440p, giving the red team a 5-10 FPS performance boost across the board. Furthermore, the AMD Crimson ReLive Driver is very beneficial for red team cards, as it offers stellar power management and in-game recording options. Also, Wattman is easy to use and the UI looks awesome. I've used both...
I'd go with the RX 480 tbh, it's already faster than the 1060 in DX12/vulkan titles and starting to take it over in DX11 titles as well due to AMD's stellar run of drivers over the last few months. You'll also get more VRAM, better longevity with AMD not abandoning driver updates on cards not of the newest generation, and the option to add a second card in the future if you see fit. (1060 doesn't support SLI) Seems like an easy choice IMO.

OloroMemez

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
What res are you playing in? Quickly looking at BF1 performance, the GTX1060 performs slightly better, about 5 frames on 1080p for instance. In terms of titanfall 2, both cards clocked over 60FPS minimum, with the RX480 having 6 more FPS average. CSGO and Rust dont really push the GPU hard enough for either card to matter imo. It's a coin toss really, unless you know for a fact whether you'll primarily be playing DX11 or DX12 games.

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016
For the first 4 months or so of the launch of the GTX 1060, the RX 480 was the underdog. Initially, the 480 had PCI-E power draw problems, some overheating issues, exploding PCBs, and more importantly, not-so-good performance in DX11 AAA titles. The GTX 1060 had a relatively smooth launch. However, the tables are turning now. DX12 and Vulkan, both of which are said to be the APIs of the future, run much better on the 480 at both 1080 and 1440p, giving the red team a 5-10 FPS performance boost across the board. Furthermore, the AMD Crimson ReLive Driver is very beneficial for red team cards, as it offers stellar power management and in-game recording options. Also, Wattman is easy to use and the UI looks awesome. I've used both NVidia and AMD cards in the past, and I must say, Wattman just looks smoother and is much more easier to understand. I hate to use the word "futureproof", but that is what the RX 480 essentially is. Get the 4GB edition for 1080p gaming, and 8GB for 1440p gaming.

Solution