Question GTX 1060 running at 139.0 MHz clock speed

liamhk

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Hello

I've been continually baffled by my GPU's performance.

My GTX 1060 6gb has been running at 139.0Mhz all the time and am not sure how to unlock its full clock speed potential.

I have adjusted Nvidia control panel to prefer maximum performance (Globally) and restarted, yet monitoring through GPU-Z still remains at 139.0MHz.

Geforce drivers are also up to date.

Here's a screengrab of the monitoring:
View: https://imgur.com/PUg06uW

Thanks

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
That is with only 1% load on the GPU.
It automatically downclocks when there is little load and increases the clocks as more load is added.
Leave GPUz running while playing a game and you will see that the clocks will increase significantly.

liamhk

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
That is with only 1% load on the GPU.
It automatically downclocks when there is little load and increases the clocks as more load is added.
Leave GPUz running while playing a game and you will see that the clocks will increase significantly.

Ok, before it didn't have any load on, whoops lol

But I booted up Sniper Elite V2 for example and the GPU load is 99% but the clock remains the same and the temps are good.

The power consumption doesn't look right, is there a problem with that maybe?

View: https://imgur.com/61h4Ltn

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
That second screen still only shows 4% load.
Click on the Log to file box and then start a game like Sniper Elite 2 and play for a few minutes then check the log file and see what clocks are shown there.
You could also use MSI Afterburner's OSD to see what the clocks are at while playing.
They should be up around 1700-1850 MHz or higher depending on exactly which 1060 you have.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Something is very wrong there.
Did you try setting the clocks higher with Afterburner to see if that will allow for higher clocks?
Did you just buy this GPU and if so was it used?
Did you or possibly someone else flash the GPU BIOS to force it to stay at the lower clocks for some reason?
Also is the PSU old or posibbly not supplying the power needed by the GPU.
IIRC a 500W PSU is usually recommended for a 1060.

Last edited:
My GTX 1060 6gb has been running at 139.0Mhz all the time and am not sure how to unlock its full clock speed potential.

First of all, provide FULL and proper PC specs. What's the make and MODEL of your PSU ?

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

liamhk

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Something is very wrong there.
Did you try setting the clocks higher with Afterburner to see if that will allow for higher clocks?
Did you just buy this GPU and if so was it used?
Did you or possibly someone else flash the GPU BIOS to force it to stay at the lower clocks for some reason?
Also is the PSU old or posibbly not supplying the power needed by the GPU.
IIRC a 500W PSU is usually recommended for a 1060.
I may have adjusted clocks on MSI Afterburner previously, but they are reset to defaults currently.

My GPU was bought brand new, Maybe it came with a hardware fault, I'm not sure.

Regarding flash the GPU bios
I'm not sure what or how to flash GPU bios. I've only updated the motherboard bios once.

My PSU is Seasonic 520W S12II Bronze Power Supply SS-520GB.
How do I check that it is using the correct amount of power?

From another look and GPU-z it's showing 11-12 Watts of power consumption while running a game,
and about 6-7% Power consumption, is this very low or normal?
View: https://imgur.com/GtOEsF6

liamhk

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
First of all, provide FULL and proper PC specs. What's the make and MODEL of your PSU ?

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

CPU- Intel Core i5 7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz 1.059 V, Arctic Freezer 13 CPU Cooler
Core temps: Idle 25 C Load 42 C
Motherboard - ASRock B250M Pro4 Version P2.50 Last update 03/16/2019
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4, Dual Channel, DRAM Frequency 1066.0Mhz.
Graphics Card - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Clock: 1595 Mhz (But runs at 139Mhz) Driver 430.86 Core temps: Idle 33.0 C Load 43 C
Power Supply - Seasonic 520W S12II Bronze Power Supply SS-520GB. it says AC Input 100-240V - 9A 50/60Hz
HDD - Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
SSD - Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" with OS installed as boot drive.
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 100R
OS: Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, Installed 15/05/2018, OS build 17134.765.

Not experiencing crashes

I have never upgraded or changed my GPU as it's my first build, and am unsure if just using another card would see immediate changes.

Any overclocks through MSI Afterburner were reset to default.

I would start with reinstalling the GPU driver. download the new one DIRECTLY though nvidia site and check "clean reinstall".
Nvida tries to "detect" the speed required but sometimes it get stuck watching the integrated GPU instead and keeps nvidia card at lowest possible.

Open nvidia control panel>Manage 3D settings>Set power management mode to high performance and reboot.
third check is to do a manual speed bump in afterburner.
your card might be faulty and set to 1300 MHZ will just power off your PC... if so, then get a refund.

Reactions: DMAN999