[SOLVED] Gtx 1060 usage dropping during gaming

Feb 5, 2021
hello world,

I am constantly facing stuttering and freezes during gaming ( star wars bf2, COD warzone etc). Gpu usage constantly goes down or even drops to 0 for some mini seconds causing freeze.

I read online that its cpu bottleneck how ever my cpu usage hardly goes to 80% and above while my gpu is mostly sitting around 30 to 35 percent.

Sometimes the whole game runs fine for an hour or more and sometimes this problem starts at beginning.

My specs.
Cpu : Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8ghz to 3.8 ghz
GPU : Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb
Ram : 8 GB Single channel 2400 Mhz
Hdd : 1 TB

I use my cpu at boost frequency of 3.4 On all cores and i have undervolted it with -0.125 value.

One thing to note sometimes i get Lim : power voltage temperature Warning on my OSD of msi afterburner for my gpu. But it happens at different times as of the stuttering issue.

Solution
UPDATE :

1 - i did look up for individual cores of the cpu through MSI OSD function and log to file function and both of them shown that every individual core of the CPU is less then 80% being utilized, except for some loading screens where cpu would go to 100% but thats just for loading maps etc, during gameplay they would remain at average of 50% to 60%.

2 - what i believe currently is the problem that is causing the issue is the core voltage of my GPU, because i constantly get " Lim : Voltage Power Temperature " pop up on side of the screen in MSI OSD and after locking voltage in curve editor to 1000mV things are going a bit smooth but i still have stuttering at different times. i think i have to see more in this voltage thing...

Rebelz86

Reputable
May 12, 2019
hello world,

I am constantly facing stuttering and freezes during gaming ( star wars bf2, COD warzone etc). Gpu usage constantly goes down or even drops to 0 for some mini seconds causing freeze.

I read online that its cpu bottleneck how ever my cpu usage hardly goes to 80% and above while my gpu is mostly sitting around 30 to 35 percent.

Sometimes the whole game runs fine for an hour or more and sometimes this problem starts at beginning.

My specs.

I use my cpu at boost frequency of 3.4 On all cores and i have undervolted it with -0.125 value.

One thing to note sometimes i get Lim : power voltage temperature Warning on my OSD of msi afterburner for my gpu. But it happens at different times as of the stuttering issue.
What temperatures do u get both on ur gpu and cpu ?

Rebelz86

Reputable
May 12, 2019
hello world,

My specs.

While gaming and while
What temperatures do u get both on ur gpu and cpu ?
While gaming and while idle?

Rebelz86

Reputable
May 12, 2019
While gaming at most tense environment gpu may go to 83 and normally during games its around 70 to 75 and cpu maximum to 80 and average to 65 to 75.

While idle they both work in 45 to 55 degrees.
Yes monitor all ur threads and cores and check if the cpu cooler is in place , check ur thermal paste as well , make sure u dont have outdated drivers.

Reactions: astonish2c
Ok, a lot going on here.

• First (and in my opinion most significantly) of all, your RAM needs some attention. Single channel RAM is a no-go, its an instant performance penalty for any modern game and can also artificially increase CPU utilization. 8 GB of RAM is also on the low side for gaming, most of that gets used up just booting Windows 10 to the desktop. You should purchase another 8 GB stick of the same kind of RAM that you have now.
  • You do have a CPU bottleneck; not only is your overall utilization high, but a) you don't have to have your utilization maxed out to be CPU limited (low boost clocks are likely the issue here) and b) overall utilization doesn't look at individual cores and threads; it only takes one maxed out thread to limit you. I'd usually recommend a CPU upgrade at this point, but since this is a laptop, that's not an option.
  • If you can afford it, swapping your HDD for an SSD would be a huge quality of life improvement. It'll cause your PC to boot much faster, will cause game levels to load much faster, and is a good performance boost for your PC all around. 1 TB SATA SSDs don't even cost that much these days.

Feb 5, 2021
Yes monitor all ur threads and cores and check if the cpu cooler is in place , check ur thermal paste as well , make sure u dont have outdated drivers.
Except for th
I will update you.
Ok, a lot going on here.

• First (and in my opinion most significantly) of all, your RAM needs some attention. Single channel RAM is a no-go, its an instant performance penalty for any modern game and can also artificially increase CPU utilization. 8 GB of RAM is also on the low side for gaming, most of that gets used up just booting Windows 10 to the desktop. You should purchase another 8 GB stick of the same kind of RAM that you have now.
  • You do have a CPU bottleneck; not only is your overall utilization high, but a) you don't have to have your utilization maxed out to be CPU limited (low boost clocks are likely the issue here) and b) overall utilization doesn't look at individual cores and threads; it only takes one maxed out thread to limit you. I'd usually recommend a CPU upgrade at this point, but since this is a laptop, that's not an option.
  • If you can afford it, swapping your HDD for an SSD would be a huge quality of life improvement. It'll cause your PC to boot much faster, will cause game levels to load much faster, and is a good performance boost for your PC all around. 1 TB SATA SSDs don't even cost that much these days.
I agree with you on the RAM And SSD Points but cpu doesnot looks to me causing the issue here, it could be i am noob so i cant be sure.

Rebelz86

Reputable
May 12, 2019
Except for th

I will update you.

I agree with you on the RAM And SSD Points but cpu doesnot looks to me causing the issue here, it could be i am noob so i cant be sure.
Try to reinstall ur gpu drivers first uninstall them using ddu then install them back from nvidia official site. Maybe this will fix the problem.

Feb 5, 2021
UPDATE :

1 - i did look up for individual cores of the cpu through MSI OSD function and log to file function and both of them shown that every individual core of the CPU is less then 80% being utilized, except for some loading screens where cpu would go to 100% but thats just for loading maps etc, during gameplay they would remain at average of 50% to 60%.

2 - what i believe currently is the problem that is causing the issue is the core voltage of my GPU, because i constantly get " Lim : Voltage Power Temperature " pop up on side of the screen in MSI OSD and after locking voltage in curve editor to 1000mV things are going a bit smooth but i still have stuttering at different times. i think i have to see more in this voltage thing and this is what i believe is the thing causing low usage of my gpu but i am not sure yet and working on it.

Rebelz86

Reputable
May 12, 2019
UPDATE :

2 - what i believe currently is the problem that is causing the issue is the core voltage of my GPU, because i constantly get " Lim : Voltage Power Temperature " pop up on side of the screen in MSI OSD and after locking voltage in curve editor to 1000mV things are going a bit smooth but i still have stuttering at different times. i think i have to see more in this voltage thing and this is what i believe is the thing causing low usage of my gpu but i am not sure yet and working on it.
Go to power options and change from Balanced to High Performence so the gpu and cpu gets more voltage

Solution
Feb 5, 2021
I Dont recommend u to use that option cause sometimes it may cause lag and stutters on ur system
can you explain a bit why it will? because on high performance my cpu seems to cant stay in boost frequency mode maybe because of voltage etc. i used to tick the option "high performance" in Throttle Stop as i had no high performance mode in power options on my windows and that would make the boost frequency a little unstable.

Rebelz86

Reputable
May 12, 2019
can you explain a bit why it will? because on high performance my cpu seems to cant stay in boost frequency mode maybe because of voltage etc. i used to tick the option "high performance" in Throttle Stop as i had no high performance mode in power options on my windows and that would make the boost frequency a little unstable.
Because sometimes ultimate performance is unstable but if it works fine for u keep it likr that