gtx 1070 games wont run after upgrade

nwolf1010

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
ever scenes i installed my new 1070 i have been having massive (what i assume to be) driver issues. 90% of the time when i try to play a game i am able to get through the menus fine but as soon as i get into the game my pc just freezes and i have to unplug my pc and restart it to get back to my desktop. the other 10% of the time the game will just crash to the desktop and i get a error message saying that the nvidia drivers have crashed and been recovered. i cannot find a solution to this problem and i just want to play some games. if you have any suggestions feel free to give them here. so far i have tried to do a bios update to my mobo, uninstall all my nvidia drivers and reinstall them.

here is my build

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVDf8K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVDf8K/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.65 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($19.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $404.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 02:10 EDT-0400

Solution
Even if your the GPU is bottle necked by the CPU it would not cause that crashes, it would just not run at its full potential.

Your problems sounds a lot like a power issue with the card. Your power supply could be overloaded. Make sure all external power connectors are hooked up correctly.

Are you running the card from a dedicated power connector?
If you are using a molex adapter try plugging it into TWO seperate molex cables, not 2 plugs on the same cable.

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
An FX-6300 and a 970+ is just asking for trouble, upgrade your CPU and MOBO to something like an i5-4460+ (preferably i5-6500). What you have is a pretty major bottleneck :) Even so, that shouldn't be happening (?), have you checked your CPU/GPU temps?

nwolf1010

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

i realize this but i dont have money to upgrade my cpu and mobo right now, i just want to be able to play my games and figure out what is wrong with the drivers. yeah i checked my temps the thing is i can barley get into a game without my PC freezing up to the pint were i have to unplug and restart my computer.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Even if your the GPU is bottle necked by the CPU it would not cause that crashes, it would just not run at its full potential.

Your problems sounds a lot like a power issue with the card. Your power supply could be overloaded. Make sure all external power connectors are hooked up correctly.

Are you running the card from a dedicated power connector?
If you are using a molex adapter try plugging it into TWO seperate molex cables, not 2 plugs on the same cable.

Solution