[SOLVED] GTX 1070 not detected in my PC, but detected in another (Also a RTX 3070 is detected by mine)

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Mobo: z370 MSI Gaming Plus
CPU: 8700k (stock settings)
RAM: 16GBs HyperX 3000mhz DDR4
GPU: G1 Gaming GTX 1070
PSU: InWin P65 650w (Gold rated)

TL; DR: Got a 1070 that works in a buddy’s system, but not mine, but a 3070 works in mine perfectly. 2 of my Mobos don’t detect the 1070, could the PSU be faulty?

Hey everyone, before I begin, I’m pretty much at my wit’s end, so if anyone can figure this out, I owe you a beer or maybe even 12.

A little backstory before we get into it:

Bought the Mobo, CPU and RAM secondhand as a combo from a reputable buyer and paired it with a GTX 970 that I got secondhand as well ($400 for everything at the time) and picked up a 650w PSU from InWin to pair with and all was well for about 2 months. About 2 weeks ago the 970 started having a major issue where it would output video for about 3 minutes and then die and then not be recognized by my PC until after I shut it down for while and then it would just do the same thing upon reboot.

Which led me to snag a 1070 from a friend that was working flawlessly in his system, but once I installed it into mine, I had no video out nor would it be recognized by the Mobo/BIOS. After hours of troubleshooting (Reinstalling Windows multiple times, formatting all drives, resetting CMOS and even throwing in a new battery and more) I can’t figure out what’s wrong with this thing. I gave the card back to him and his system booted up fine which made me think it could be my Mobo, so I went to the local computer store here and one of the managers let me use a Zotac RTX 3070 to test and to my shock it booted right into windows and even let me install the latest 496 driver update as well.

So I get the card back from him and its still doing the same thing. I then tried the 1070 out on a old H97 + 4590 combo that I use to have paired to a 1070ti but with the same 650w psu that I’ve had the whole time and got the same problem of no video out.

So I think this maybe my PSU? Could it have been damaged when the 970 randomly started acting up? I only have a spare 450w PSU to test with unfortunately atm.

Any advice would be great!

I’d like to add that I’ve tried all if not a BUNCH of troubleshooting tips including reaching out to both Microsoft and Nvidia live chats and after trying out their “solutions” it was basically that meme of 2 Spider-Man’s pointing at each other with the caption “It’s their fault!”

Solution
Update:
Switched this Gigabyte 1070 for an Asus 1070 and it works in my system. My gigabyte was just tried in a 7700k + z270 mobo that the Asus one came out of and it won't show any video out.

Pretty sure that GB card just doesn't like intel boards.

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
It is. Requires and checks during POST are two different things. The other option is a faulty PCIe lane or two... so eliminate the PSU first.

So got an EVGA G3 650w Supernova and still having the same issues. Even used the GPU and new PSU on my older board and got nothing as well.
While at the computer store, we hooked up the 1070 to a custom built PC and it detected it and booted it up. So there was some hope there. Even ran Heaven Unigine for about 5 minutes and it was running mint!

I have a little 7770HD that works on both my boards as well.

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Okaaaay so I had an odd theory that perhaps the card didn’t like Intel setups that I have, so I brought out my dusty, trusty A58M board with an A8-6600 and 1 stick of 4GB DDR3 and no cooler. And guess what? I got video out 😂😂😂
I had this thought because the my buddy’s rig is a 2600x and the PC I used at the store was a 5600x. So it could be that the drivers or vbios is out of whack on the card?
Gonna do a bit of MacGyvering and report back!

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Update:
Switched this Gigabyte 1070 for an Asus 1070 and it works in my system. My gigabyte was just tried in a 7700k + z270 mobo that the Asus one came out of and it won't show any video out.

Pretty sure that GB card just doesn't like intel boards.

Solution