Gtx 1070 SC freezes upon after driver update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeus91

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
So this a bit of a weird situation, after months searching I was finally able to get a EVGA GTX 1070 SC. Now the thing is that whenever I boot up my computer, it freezes after a 1 min on my desktop wallpaper. I try powering it off again & same thing happens. I try the uninstalling the driver's again with ddu & reinstalling them again but no success. I installed my other gpu the 1060 & everything works just fine. It doesn't freeze & I'm able to play the games just fine. Could this be a issue with my 1070 or perhaps my PSU? I have a Seasonic M12ii Evo 520 bronze. My specs are,
Xeon 1231 v3 CPU
H81m p33 motherboard
2 TB Western Digital black
1 TB Western Digital blue
Ripjaws X 16GB 1600mhz

Zeus91

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Could try another PSU & hope for the best. Or I could just let my friend mail it back to EVGA & get another card. But first we'll test on his rig again just to make sure.

Man that is just screwy. Anyway the last BIOS update was 14/04/2014 and version 1.9. The description:

- Improved memory compatibility.
- Support PSC B-die DDR3 Memory
- Fixed Realtek lan still can work after disable "Onboard LAN Controller" in BIOS.
- Updated VBIOS and GOP Driver.

I wouldn't recommend doing it though if you are running an older BIOS as it doesn't appear to improve anything for your symptoms (you'll see that version BIOS in MSI's startup splash screen).

Yes. Your friend's rig first to rule out something was damaged in the removal/installation, and a new PSU to ensure your Seasonic isn't causing problems. Assuming, again, this is not some freak MSI motherboard UEFI issue.

Zeus91

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I'm kind of hoping that it isn't my motherboard causing the UEFI issue cause that will suck. But if it was my motherboard, wouldn't it had cause issue with my 1060? I'm honestly considering letting my friend mail it back to EVGA but we'll do the tests first.

Yeah that's what I was saying - it shouldn't be a UEFI issue because you simply replaced the 1060 with a same generation GPU that is more powerful. But anything is possible when dealing with infinite combinations of different hardware in custom builds. I've been building gaming PCs for 20 years and have seen a lot in my day, but I have never heard of this happening outside of corrupted Windows register related to drivers. Clearly that's not your case since your other GPUs work fine. :??:

Zeus91

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Yeah it's puzzlingly to say the least. I'll keep you updated on the issue & let you know if it gets resolved. But I honestly do have a feeling that it might be the 1070. Cause like I said, it did run the game well before freezing completely. Even my friend ruled out the possibility of being my PSU or any of my components causing the issues.

Zeus91

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Yeah they told my friend that they'll replace it & mail him another one in 3 days. But before mailing to them, we're just going to make sure if it works on his rig. If it does work, then most likely it would be my PSU.

Zeus91

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I swapped my PSU & no success. My friend is gonna mail it back to them. I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong with it. My friend only had for about 5 months.