Question GTX 1070 suddenly stopped being detected

Jun 11, 2022
Hello, guys. First time posting here, i really need some help.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core I7-7700K Kaby Lake LGA 1151 4.2Ghz
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HG4
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 Windforce OC Edition 8GB GDDR5 256Bit, GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD
PSU: Gamemax GM600 600W 80 Plus Bronze

If you need more information about HDs or RAMs just let me know.

So, i was using the PC on a sunday evening normally, everything fine, went to sleep and turned off the PC (i have nobreak), next day i tried to turning on but my main monitor wasn't receiving any signal, only the secondary monitor plugged in the Onboard.
I checked on the devices manager and the GPU wasn't being detected, i tried to installing new drivers and it said that no hardware of Nvidia was found plugged in, i tried to use nvflash to reset the bios of the GPU and i got the same error: no Nvidia hardware found.

I even opened the GPU and replaced the thermal paste in it, but didn't worked, i didn't know if it was PSU, motherboard or PCIe cable problem, so i plugged a old GPU in it that required TWO 8pins, i only used one (because i only have one), and i turned the PC on and than he shut off and i felt a smell of burning/fried, i removed the cables and took off the old GPU and i smelled her, she definily fried so: the PSU was able to send power to the GPU (pci cable and PSU possibly is fine), but the current GPU isn't being able to be detected, i know the most smart solution is to test on another computer, but i don't have one, i can take to a store. Is it possibled that my GPU fried? How can this be possible if the PC was turned off and i have nobreak (i think that protects against power surges, i don't know). Reinstalling windows could fix the problem? I don't think so because she isn't being detected in any circunstances, so doesn't seem like a driver problem. The bios is set to use the PCI Graphic Card as primary video adapter, i changed a lot of settings, i changed the legacy to UEFI, UEFI to legacy, disabled both, so, i really don't know what to do.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate some help, thank you.

Sorry for the bad english, it is not my native language.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Psu is crap would be the likely suspect; it damaged the 1070 over time.

When you plugged in one 6+2 into the older gpu, even though it requires 2 of them, nothing should've happened, but it let out the magic smoke anyway.
Take the 1070 to the shop - but if they can't detect it either, then it's gone.

Reactions: Lucas Pinho
Jun 11, 2022
Psu is crap would be the likely suspect; it damaged the 1070 over time.

When you plugged in one 6+2 into the older gpu, even though it requires 2 of them, nothing should've happened, but it let out the magic smoke anyway.
Take the 1070 to the shop - but if they can't detect it either, then it's gone.

The PSU should be able to provide enough power, but you're right, it's actually a bad PSU. Which PSU would you recommend for my specs if the problem isn't a dead GPU?
Aditional specs:
1 TB HD
1 120 GB SSD
Corsair H45 WaterCooler
1 16GB RAM Kingston

Edit: one thing that i forgot to mention, it's that i live closed to the beach, so components eventually gets rusty.

Jun 11, 2022
Would need to know what your options are before making suggestions - like an online store. If shopping locally, then country and currency.

A humidifier should help with that, if you don't already use one.

I live in Brasil. I searched and found one that provides enough power and people recommends is this one: XPG Core Reactor 650W, 80 Plus Gold Modular

Edit: this PSU is actually expensive here, but i found out that it is for half of the price in a very famous store of eletronics here in Brasil and the price is going back to the normal in one day, i think i'm going to buy, and if doesn't fix the issue, then i'll accept it that the GPU is dead.

Thank you for your asnwer, i thought that by putting only one 6+2 pin in the old GPU that had two 6+2 pin was the why she fried, i had discarded PSU as the problem, but you made me rethink and been very helpful.

Last edited: