[SOLVED] GTX 1070 TI or RTX 2070 for Engineering Student

SOLO_AVENGER

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I am currently an engineering student in the UK so my main uses of the GPU will be Autodesk Inventor, Matlab and games. Other potential uses in the future will be Autodesk Maya and video rendering although I don't know how serious those will be. I just bought an EVGA 1070 Ti FTW Ultra Silent for £405 from Amazon, however I am wondering if I should cancel my order and go for an MSI 2070 Gaming Z or an EVGA 2070 XC Ultra, both of which are £550.

My current GPU is a Radeon HD 7770, so it really needs an upgrade however I am willing to wait for that upgrade. I currently only play CS:GO and R6, however when I upgrade my GPU I will also be playing other games like The Witcher 3, GTA V and Cyberpunk 2077. My current CPU is an FX-6300, however that will be upgraded later in the year to the highest I7 available or a Ryzen 3000 series chip if available.

Other options for me include the RTX 2060 and AMD's next GPU, or the Asus Strix Vega 64 which can be had for £415. My concern with AMD though is that some of the applications listed support CUDA and so I will not be able to use the CUDA accelerated features with an AMD GPU. I am unsure about how useful ray-tracing will be, I doubt Autodesk will add real-time ray tracing to Inventor anytime soon, however I am interested in Maya's implementation of ray-tracing (although I still don't know how seriously I will use Maya). Seeing as the RTX GPUs mentioned both have less CUDA cores than the 1070 Ti, I am wondering if the RTX GPUs will perform worse in CUDA accelerated applications, such with video rendering and Matlab, than the 1070 Ti.

I am planning on keeping this computer for four to six years, maybe more if I don't need an upgrade, and I am looking to get at a 144Hz or 240Hz 1080p monitor within the next two years.

Thanks for any help with this.

Solution
I am a senior in mechanical engineering and I use the 940m that is in my laptop. Works just fine. 1070 should be overkill for undergraduate engineering courses. Gaming is a whole different topic.
Jan 7, 2019
I am a senior in mechanical engineering and I use the 940m that is in my laptop. Works just fine. 1070 should be overkill for undergraduate engineering courses. Gaming is a whole different topic.

Solution