GTX 1070 with non gsynch 1080p 144hz monitor vs RX 580/480 with Freesynch 1080p 144hz monitor

AnHa__

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Hi guys, i am looking to build a ryzen 5 pc with 3200 mhz samsung b-die rams. I have really this big question about this competition.

As i have read the Freesynch only benefits from AMD GPU while Gsynch only from nVidia GPU.

So my question is simple.

Which of this system will be more smooth for the eye and which one will offer better viable solution. I already understand that amd combo will have lower FPS due to 1070 is beast but will it give nearly the performance of a 1070 without g-synch monitor?

V-Synch is equal to G-synch or Freesynch?

What do you think?

Solution

FarmerTed

Honorable
May 2, 2013
As far as price is concerned, Freesynch monitors tend to run about $100-200 less than gysnc monitors. If price is an issue, then that I something to consider. They both will give you the adaptive refresh properties (not having either screen tearing with vsync turned off or lag with vsync turned on). Depending on the games that you play, a 1070 will probably give you higher FPS. An option you always have as well is turn down the settings for ultra to high, or high to medium and etc. which will allow for higher frame rates, if that's what you are wanting more. I'm assuming since you tagged 144hz in there, you are wanting some high frame rates.

In my eyes, it comes down to price as a big factor. I've always been partial to nVidea.

AnHa__

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

So i assume the 1070 with a medium 144hz 1080p monitor is the sweetspot here?

Cause if you buy a 144hz monitor but you cant reach above 80 fps makes the monitor worthless. Or Freesynch monitor with 1070 to exploit the adaptive refresh rate maybe?

Also lets not concern about the money but the value for money

poohge123

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

You can't really buy a Freesync monitor and expect the GTX 1070 to make use of that. Only AMD cards will take advantage of the Freesync monitor.

Also if you would want to get a 144Hz Monitor, the reaching atleast 80 or 90 fps on average would not make it a waste in my opinion.

A freesync monitor is a lot cheaper than a G-sync monitor. However, if you dont mind spending money. I suggest you go get a G-sync monitor and a GTX 1070 to fully take advantage of that technology.

Solution