GTX 1080 Bad Screen Tearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hello,

Since I've had my GTX 1080, I've had problems with screen tearing. Basically, without VSync on, I get severe tearing along one line about 1/3 of the way up the screen. If I turn VSync on, I get less severe screen tearing, but it happens along 2 lines, 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up the screen. These VSync settings are in game. I have tried changing the setting in the NVIDIA control panel, but that has not had an effect.

I'm playing at 1080p. I have an HDMI cable coming from the GTX 1080 to a capture card that record 1080p at 60Hz. I also have a VGA cable that comes out of the 1080 and goes to the monitor which is 144Hz.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Your monitor is 144Hz? Try setting Nvidia Control Panel or GeForce Experience (IDK which, I haven't used Nvidia since the base model 980 was the king) so that it targets 144 frames as the display rate.

Can someone with more recent Nvidia experience help explain how to do this? Thanks!

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

I just tried and it locks the monitor at 60Hz because that is the limit of the capture card. Is there a way to set the monitor to 60Hz? It is the Asus VG248QE.

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

The DVI going to the monitor is a dual link DVI. The HDMI going to the capture card was bought in 2013, so I assume it is at least HDMI 1.3.

Also, I tried loading up a game I had never tried with the 1080 to test it out, so I loaded up Battlefield 3. With VSync on (in Battlefield 3) I get the 1/3 and 2/3 screen tearing. With it off, I get no screen tearing at all.

The game with the biggest tearing problem is GTA V.

Weird.

What you have isn't screen tearing by the sound of it. If you get 2 lines with V-sync on, you likely have a signal issue, or monitor failure.

I'd start by disconnecting the capture card, and running the monitor separately. If it works without the capture card, perhaps it is the card causing the issue. I'd also avoid using the VGA port on the monitor if possible.

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

Below is a screenshot of the problem. Disconnecting the capture card did not change anything, but when I enabled V-Sync without the capture card, it was fixed. When I connect the capture card again, it happens again. With V-Sync on, and the capture card attached, I get less severe tearing. Throughout these tests I was not able to get the 2 lines again, just 1.

pfuniGBlzTaNKNHQSPon_0BqU916on911DtCjfIze3w

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

If you look closely at the screenshot, the character is torn as well. I should point out the fact in the display window for the capture card, there is no problem with tearing at all. It is only either on the monitor OR the capture card. The monitor is 144Hz. The capture card is 60Hz. Could it be that the GTX 1080 or the game itself is V-Sync-ing to the capture card's 60 Hz and not the monitor's 144Hz? I notice the game will not let me set the refresh rate above 60Hz, so that might lock to lower limit of the outputs. If so, I'm not sure if there is a way to set the monitor to 60 Hz. It is an Asus VG248QE.

Also, I notice coil whine with the GTX 1080 under load. Most cards do that though, but I just thought I'd throw that in.

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

I have done a bunch of tests and it seems like no matter what, the ASUS will screen tear whenever the capture card is connected at a different refresh rate. I tried going into settings without the capture card connected and changing the ASUS's refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz, but it still happens.

The one thing I did notice that was interesting was I disconnected the capture card and plugged in a 60Hz monitor, along with the 144HZ ASUS, and the problem went away. There is something about the capture card (Elgato Game Capture HD 60) that makes it do this. Like I said before, the Game Capture HD output has no screen tearing problems.

Also, in the last few days, I have noticed this other problem where whenever I restart my PC, when it gets to that screen with the blinking underscore, the screen flashes very rapidly and it gets stuck on that screen. If I manually reboot the PC (pressing the button on the case) the next time it reboots, there is no problem.

Weird.

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
UPDATE: Just to try something, I opened up the PC and took out the GTX 1080. I let it sit on the table for a little bit, then put it back in very carefully and securely. Now the coil whine is gone, and that problem I mentioned with the flickering/freezing on the flashing underscore screen is gone as well. Screen tearing is still an issue, but I think that can positively be attributed to the different refresh rates of the monitor and capture card.

Gerard2016

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
I have the same problem. While i`m watching youtube movies in full screen mode. Vsync is turned on "fast" because i have 60Hz monitor. I use opera. I can switch off hardware acceleration but i preffer better quality with hardware accereration switched on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Subal0ser

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
I have had the same issue. Got my GTX 1080 (EVGA FTW ACX 3.0) and it worked great the first day on my Asus 24" at 1920x1080 60Hz. Then my new monitor came in the next day, ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms G-SYNC. Constant screen tearing outside of a game, and now even in game, even in BIOS. Im going to try dropping to 120Hz and see if that works. I am using a highly rated display port cable and G-Sync.

Subal0ser

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

Yes i very aware of the thermal issues i also have a GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 in my other build. Immediately after installing the card i updated the BIOS with the provided links from EVGA's support page regarding the issue and requested my thermal pads for both cards. I have not received the pads yet or made any physical changes to the cards but temps on the 1080 have not reached above 75c, usually hovers at 72c in game. The 1070 hovers between 70c-72c in game as well.

Here's the scary part... The parts that are overheating are not parts that report their temperature to the motherboard. Basically, you won't know that your VRMs are overheating unless they get so hot that they fail. That 75C would be the core temperature, the core is not the part of the card that is overheating.

Oct 31, 2023
Hello,

Since I've had my GTX 1080, I've had problems with screen tearing. Basically, without VSync on, I get severe tearing along one line about 1/3 of the way up the screen. If I turn VSync on, I get less severe screen tearing, but it happens along 2 lines, 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up the screen. These VSync settings are in game. I have tried changing the setting in the NVIDIA control panel, but that has not had an effect.

I'm playing at 1080p. I have an HDMI cable coming from the GTX 1080 to a capture card that record 1080p at 60Hz. I also have a VGA cable that comes out of the 1080 and goes to the monitor which is 144Hz.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I'm having a very similar problem, but it isn't the cable, or the monitors as I just plugged in my radeon hd 7850 (Ik not a very nice gpu, but its the only one I have other than my gtx1080) and it looks fine on the hd7850, but when I switch it back to the 1080 I have the problem, I've turned on vsync in the nvidia control panel, and it looks terrible, just as you described, but with vsync off on the hd7850 it looks perfectly fine.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm having a very similar problem, but it isn't the cable, or the monitors as I just plugged in my radeon hd 7850 (Ik not a very nice gpu, but its the only one I have other than my gtx1080) and it looks fine on the hd7850, but when I switch it back to the 1080 I have the problem, I've turned on vsync in the nvidia control panel, and it looks terrible, just as you described, but with vsync off on the hd7850 it looks perfectly fine.
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This one is 7 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS