GTX 1080 Coil whine

SlumLord519

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Hi guys i recently put my new PC together. I had lots of vibrations when running some graphic demanding games so I started unplugging fans and hard drives to try and narrow down where this vibration was coming from. I then noticed a terrible coil whine on the GPU(I think) when doing a stress test or playing Star Wars BF. I can really only hear it when the side of the case is off anyways. I figured I would see if anyone else is having these issues with these cards. Mine is the founders edition. I am wondering if people are sending the cards back or just dealing with it.

Solution
If you can only hear it with the side panel, that's not too bad. If you don't hear it with the side panel on, it won't annoy you so it isn't a problem, coil whine doesn't indicate a fault with the card (not one that can cause any issues anyway). I would only send a card back for coil whine if it was so loud that I could hear it very clearly even with my headphones on.

If it doesn't bother you when the side panel is on, don't worry about it :)
If you can only hear it with the side panel, that's not too bad. If you don't hear it with the side panel on, it won't annoy you so it isn't a problem, coil whine doesn't indicate a fault with the card (not one that can cause any issues anyway). I would only send a card back for coil whine if it was so loud that I could hear it very clearly even with my headphones on.

If it doesn't bother you when the side panel is on, don't worry about it :)

Solution