GTX 1080 dead in the water

gippergg

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Hi everyone. So I took the leap and recently bought all new components to upgrade my PC. After
all the fun of assembly, I plugged it in, hooked it up to my monitor, and turned it on.

“No HDMI signal”

Crap. So I switch to DVI.

“No DisplayPort signal”

This is what I get when I plug my monitor into my brand new GTX 1080.

So, I plug my HDMI into my motherboard, and the signal works. I’m able to install windows and all of that fun stuff. However, in Device Manager, I see that my GPU isn’t showing up.

So, I think it’s safe to say that there’s a problem with my GPU. The interesting thing is that the fans on the 1080 occasionally spin, then stop. I’m not sure if this card has LEDs in it, so I can’t tell if that is working or not. I have a 6+2pin PCIE power cord plugged into the card as well.

My specs are:

Windows 10 Home 64bit
MSI Gaming Intel B250 LGA 1151
Intel Core i5-7600K LGA 1151
MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC
G.SKILL 8GB Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-19200 2400MHz
SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I ran all of this through pcpartpicker before I bought it, but do you guys see any incompatibilities I might have missed? If not, do you have any advice for troubleshooting this GPU?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

gippergg

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017

Thank you for the quick response. I suppose it's worth mentioning that both the 6 pin and 8 pins were plugged in initially, and I got the same results. I only unplugged the 6 pin hoping something different would happen.

I will try updating the BIOS next, however.

gippergg

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017

Thank you, that looks like it's my only course of action.