GTX 1080 + Intel i7 4770 not performing well

chimchar

Commendable
Jun 28, 2018
Hey, so I have a pretty decent computer with a GTX 1080 and an intel i7 4770. My problem is that when I'm playing fortnite I will almost %100 of the time get a huge freeze / spike down to 0 fps every single game 3-5 times a game. I'll also barely be able to stay above 144fps on medium settings.... My temp is fine usually at about 70 while playing and I made sure my power supply has enough power for my gpu etc. I am almost certain it's my ram. I have 8gb of ram, which is not a lot. When I'm playing the game I notice my memory is at about %80 the entire time. Which causes me to believe these lag spikes are due to lack of ram in the computer. I'm getting really frustrated as spending $2000 on a computer to get the same performance as my old 1060 is not my cup of tea.

I'd really appreciate some help!

Solution
On a GTX 1080 level, single-channel RAM will net around 10-20% lower frame rate than dual-channel.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBmElSVy4U8&t=229s"][/video]
If you have dual-channel 8GB (2x4GB) then it shouldn't be doing that. What power supply do you have? Not that the power supply would be causing that though.

Why don't you list your full system specs. You mentioned one temp, but you should monitor both CPU and GPU temps.

schwatzz

Distinguished
Make sure drivers are up to date for the GPU. Go to Nvidia Control Panel and set the Power Management Mode for Fornite to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Make sure power plan settings for PC are set to Maximum Performance.

chimchar

Commendable
Jun 28, 2018

I have a single channel 8gb ram stick(1x8GB, DDR4).

Recommend a good tool for monitoring CPU temp? I'm using msi afterburner and it only shows my GPU.

1x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram
GeForce GTX 1080
Intel i7 4770
ASUS Z97-A motherboard
750ww PSU
Corsair H100i cooler

chimchar

Commendable
Jun 28, 2018

Already done this. Drivers are already up to date as well.

chimchar

Commendable
Jun 28, 2018

Honestly, in Rainbow Six I can barely manage to get above 144fps on medium/low settings so I'm pretty sure its just games in general.

chimchar

Commendable
Jun 28, 2018

ahhh ok. so If I were to buy another 8gb ram stick would that be a dual-channel? since I already have one?

schwatzz

Distinguished

If you only have one ram stick in your mobo, then that is single-channel. You could get another stick of ram, but it has to be the exact same as the one you have. Even then, there is a chance they won't play well with each other.

The last 3 times I've bought the exact same DDR4 RAM stick to pair with a single stick, it worked. So, I'd say the chances are pretty good. Even 2 sticks bought in a kit have the chance of not working together.

*Oh, the one 32GB RAM kit I did buy didn't work with XMP enabled or with manual timings except with looser timings. So, yeah... it's just a matter of luck with RAM. But the above post is correct in that you must buy the exact same RAM else you will significantly lower your chances of having the RAM work together.

chimchar

Commendable
Jun 28, 2018

Update: I purchased anohter 8gb ram stick (same exact one, mhz and everything) and I guess I got lucky since I checked CPU-Z and it's showing I'm running in Dual Channel !! I am just doing some benchmarking to see if this fixed the problem, thank you to everyone who has left a reply.