[SOLVED] GTX 1080 low FPS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 22, 2021
Hello guys,
My problem is that I have bought PC w GTX 1080 and another GTX 1070 that I gave my friend.. But thing is, that my PC as averaging much lower fps than the 1070 ...
For example we play together Tom Clancy´s The division on Ultra and my friend has 70-80fps with no shutter.. But my PC is making only 40-50..
I think the PC I gave him is intel i5 8xxx and 16gb RAM.
In my PC I have Ryzen 7 1700 and 32gb ram
I am using 27 WQHD monitor w 1440p..
Any idea what could be the problem ? Should I buy newer CPU ?

Oh by the way I tried Fullscreen/Borderless, Vsyc OFF/ON pretty much all in game settings, by my experience yet It does this in all Ubisoft games ... Other games are not running at best, but at least 60fps.. My performance overlay says that GPU is 90-100% and CPU is around 50%.. Could the problem be that the CPU is not running at the boost frq ?

Last edited:
Solution
Okay so final verdict is to buy new CPU.. bcs today I bought new RAM 16gb 3200MHz dual kit... But pc is showing 1200MHz, even when I enabled the X-something in BIOS for 3200 speed.. soo I did some searching and found this.. "For the testing we are using a Ryzen 7 processor, specifically the Ryzen 7 1700. AMD's official listed support for this processor depends on the amount of memory and the memory type. The short answer to this support is that when using one memory module per channel, the Ryzen 7 1700 is designed to support DDR4-2666, but when two memory modules per channel are used, the support drops to DDR4-2400."
So question now is, what will be the best procesor ? As I wrote earlier, will be the ryzen...
Nov 22, 2021
The sweet spot is around 3200~3600 CL16 and make sure is a 2x8 or 2x16 kit so theres no issues like the ones you are having now with those two different RAM sticks.

I will still try your current RAM stick in dual channel and see if that helps with performance. Just make sure you slot them in the right place and then check CPU-Z to confirm dual channel is working.

Okey will try thx. And about the CPU does it have to be ryzen or can be even some Intel?

Nov 22, 2021
Okay so final verdict is to buy new CPU.. bcs today I bought new RAM 16gb 3200MHz dual kit... But pc is showing 1200MHz, even when I enabled the X-something in BIOS for 3200 speed.. soo I did some searching and found this.. "For the testing we are using a Ryzen 7 processor, specifically the Ryzen 7 1700. AMD's official listed support for this processor depends on the amount of memory and the memory type. The short answer to this support is that when using one memory module per channel, the Ryzen 7 1700 is designed to support DDR4-2666, but when two memory modules per channel are used, the support drops to DDR4-2400."
So question now is, what will be the best procesor ? As I wrote earlier, will be the ryzen 5 5600G enough or is the 5600X version significantly better so would be better to throw up some money and buy that one, or another one ?

Solution
The short answer to this support is that when using one memory module per channel, the Ryzen 7 1700 is designed to support DDR4-2666, but when two memory modules per channel are used, the support drops to DDR4-2400."
If you have 2 ram modules, then it is one module per channel. B450 is dual channel board.
Two modules per channel is, when you have 4 modules.

Your motherboard supports ram speeds up to 3466mhz in OC mode.
2933mhz should be achievable for sure. Probably 3200mhz too.

lol, go to love when people mark they own post as the best solution.

Anyways, whatever you posted up there: ""For the testing we are using a Ryzen 7 processor, specifically the Ryzen 7 1700. AMD's official listed support for this processor depends on the amount of memory and the memory type. The short answer to this support is that when using one memory module per channel, the Ryzen 7 1700 is designed to support DDR4-2666, but when two memory modules per channel are used, the support drops to DDR4-2400." " is bull..crap today.

It was the case when the Ryzen 1x00 hit the street but then RAM support got a lot better.

In fact on your motherboard page theres a list of all RAM supported for Ryzen 1x00: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-tomahawk/support#support-mem-12. Or perhaps you just got a momery kit with really bad compatibility with this motherboard of yours.

Memory support often is expanded and optimized by BIOS updates. I believe (if this is your motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-tomahawk/support#support-main-block-download) there are at least 2 BIOS updates above the version you currently have that brings memory compatibility improvements.

As for your last question the R5 5600G should be a good improvement over your R7 1700 (is faster than the R5 3600 on benchmarks and slightly slower than the R5 5600X).

Reactions: dotas1
So question now is, what will be the best procesor ? As I wrote earlier, will be the ryzen 5 5600G enough or is the 5600X version significantly better so would be better to throw up some money and buy that one, or another one ?
You can put Ryzen CPUs up to 3rd generation as your motherboard does not support 5th gen.

Also 5600G is an APU which means it has integrated graphics while 5600X is a CPU that has no integrated graphics. People buy the 5600G if they need the integrated graphics.

A good cpu to buy would be a 3700X.

Nov 22, 2021
You can put Ryzen CPUs up to 3rd generation as your motherboard does not support 5th gen.

Also 5600G is an APU which means it has integrated graphics while 5600X is a CPU that has no integrated graphics. People buy the 5600G if they need the integrated graphics.

Well by this link( https://cz.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK/support#support-cpu ) it should support it with no problem.. On left click on compatibility and there is list of compatible CPU, or by what mean you think it is not compatible ?

You sure about Ryzen 5xxx, cause I found them in the list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-tomahawk/support#support-cpu? (not soo sure the link work as it should......)

Well by this link( https://cz.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK/support#support-cpu ) it should support it with no problem.. On left click on compatibility and there is list of compatible CPU, or by what mean you think it is not compatible ?
You sure about Ryzen 5xxx, cause I found them in the list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-tomahawk/support#support-cpu? (not soo sure the link work as it should......)
I stand corrected but partially :)
The front page says support up to 3rd gen and then in the supported cpu list has 5th gen BUT only APUs. So, no 5600X...

Reactions: RodroX
Nov 22, 2021
I stand corrected but partially :)
The front page says support up to 3rd gen and then in the supported cpu list has 5th gen BUT only APUs. So, no 5600X...
Okey so what would be the problem w integrated graphics ? It should not be any problem, is it ?
EDIT
On the bottom of the list is still X versions of the CPU..