GTX 1080 overheating

Mar 19, 2018
I ordered a new EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid last week and it was working great. Today I put the PC on and the card is running at 92 degrees C with 2 percent usage. Not sure what is going on. I restarted PC and still same temp.

Solution
I would get on EVGA's support forum just to get a paper trail going in the event you have a failing card. Ask them what they think. Knowing that you have two opinions on temps and they both conclude, that's not a good sign for the card.
1) What program are you using to monitor the GPU temp?

2) Does this happen at idle? Forget percent usage. Is it at idle with those temps?

3) When you say it was working great previously, what difference in fan speed did you notice? 92C is dangerous. I would not use that PC until this gets sorted out.

Mar 19, 2018
Using MSI afterburner and corsair CUE to double check, both show same temp. I have my GPU radiator fan on my own fan controller and last week I had it set to 800 RPM and card would sit around 50 degrees while gaming. Now card is at 92 looking at the desktop right after I turn PC on. How do I check if it's "idle" or not, I don't open up any programs and I thought percent usage was how you measure if it's idle.

When I mentioned idle I was talking about your desktop just sitting there chilling and doing nothing but being powered on. Now that I know you are using AB, how does the fan profile react? I assume you have a custom fan profile set. This sounds like a potential RMA I'm afraid.

Mar 19, 2018

I don't have any fan profiles set yet. It's a fairly new PC and I just manually set the RPM of the rad fan to 800 and the temp was good. The blower fan is up to 2000 RPM trying to keep up with the temp but not sure where this temp is coming from.

I would get on EVGA's support forum just to get a paper trail going in the event you have a failing card. Ask them what they think. Knowing that you have two opinions on temps and they both conclude, that's not a good sign for the card.

Solution