GTX 1080 Trouble

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PeanutGenie

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
I installed a GTX 1080 today. I reinstalled drivers and opened the division to play on max settings. It ran beautifully for a couple of minutes then the screen went blank. I restarted my computer and the screen remained blank. I changed the display port to another one and now the screen is working although I havent tried a game yet. I am a noob to pc gaming at upgrading.

Just about every answer to a question here at Tom's to hardware instability/failure is "your PSU is too weak". It's utter nonsense. I've been building PC's for 25 years (probably about 30 PCs built) and have NEVER had a PSU issue - not from high end or from cheap China rubbish PSUs. If the PSU is big enough (and to be sure with the cheap China rubbish you will NEED to compensate with a higher spec model) it's not going to cause problems like the one described here. I'll go out on a limb and say a cheap China 750W PSU WILL reliably power a GTX 1080 100% of the time - IF it is genuinely a PSU issue and is too stressed or fails you will know about it (e.g. smoke and/or sparks!).

We're talking about a $600-$700 GPU, though. We're all sort of agreeing it's probably best to change it just because. Not because it's causing the problem, but because it sucks.

Define "big". A computer power supply will never hit a limit on power. It won't ever run out of power in the first place - it's a near impossible scenario that requires a precise PSU design with overrated MOSFETs, a particular type of load, and overridden protections, so it's never going to happen. So a PSU cannot be "big enough" or "too big" either. They do what is demanded of them, and if they can't handle it, they'll shut off from a protection or catch on fire.

Personally, I'd be more concerned over the ripple in a knock-off unit like this and how much it'd decrease the lifespan of the GPU's VRM.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that is a good point and I've seen that before actually. Don't remember what the solution was.

Just about every answer to a question here at Tom's to hardware instability/failure is "your PSU is too weak". It's utter nonsense. I've been building PC's for 25 years (probably about 30 PCs built) and have NEVER had a PSU issue - not from high end or from cheap China rubbish PSUs.

Yes and that's been a running joke among us moderators. But you definitely can't deny that a $25 junker PSU unit won't power a $700 graphics card. It doesn't take any research at all to prove that.

Does the OP want general advice though or an actual solution to his/her posted problem? If I told you my wireless XBox controller isn't working right and provide my system specs, would you advise I change out my PSU because it's "very weak"? That would lead me to think that the "very weak" PSU IS the cause of the problem, when it clearly isn't. The fact is probably 90%+ of the general public are running cheap garbage PSUs (and they probably know it). But that isn't what they're asking about here. What I assume they want is an actual solution to what is ailing them, not advice (albeit sound) on how to make an overall better system build - there are after all plenty of guides on that.

PeanutGenie

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
Thank you all for all the feedback. I have been trying to follow all of it and some of it I have to admit is way over my head. Since my original post, I have had no issues. I have been playing The Division and Assassins Creed Unity on 1440p. Both are running at about 50 FPS on ultra settings. I have had no issues or screen blackouts. All the ports seem to be working. I have a HP 34c 21:9 monitor.

PeanutGenie

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016

PeanutGenie

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016

Thank you all for all the feedback. I have been trying to follow all of it and some of it I have to admit is way over my head. Since my original post, I have had no issues. I have been playing The Division and Assassins Creed Unity on 1440p. Both are running at about 50 FPS on ultra settings. I have had no issues or screen blackouts. All the ports seem to be working. I have a HP 34c 21:9 monitor.

g-unit1111

Titan

You know one of the drawbacks to this forum for people seeking tech support in this forum is that we don't have said user's system directly in front of us. So without having the actual system in front of us, we can't determine that the PSU is actually the culprit here, we can only speculate. You are correct in that it could be something other than the PSU - it could be a bad monitor cable, it could be a dead port on the monitor, any number of issues could come up. But the reason why the PSU option is the most common solution is that more often than not, that is the way too often the case. But other circumstances and factors can affect a GPU's inability to function. Like I said you can't know for sure, it's really a guessing game without the system actually in front of you.

Old Fox

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013