Question (GTX 1080) Under 30% GPU usage GTA V

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArYcEz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
I recently bought a GTX 1080, however when I tried to play GTA V I realized that my framerate wasn't much different from the card I upgraded from (GTX 970.) My GPU usage howevers anywhere from 10~% to 35~% but rarely goes above that. I turned all my graphics down but there seems to be no improvement on my framerate (which is just around 60fps.) I've already tried disabling HPET and changing the priority to high in task manager, both of which yielded no results.

Specs:
MSI GTX 1080
i7 4790k
12 Gb DDR3
Asus z-97p mobo

ArYcEz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
Make sure you aren't using one cable going from the power supply with two connections plugged into the graphics card. Make sure you have two separate dedicated cables going from the power supply to the graphics card.
Make sure your power settings are configured to performance in Windows control panel.
Lastly if the above doesn't solve the issue, try re-seating the graphics card into the PCI-E slot along with the PSU Cables for it.
I can confirm I am using one cable which splits into two connectors that are connected to the GPU, though this is a semi-modular PSU I can't find where I put the other PCI power connectors, and I don't know if the unit came with more than one of them. So unfortunately I wasn't able to test if that fixed the issue.
I was already on performance mode in windows power settings, and have been so since the start of this thread.
I tried changing the PCIE slot which the GPU was seated in and it yielded much greater GPU usage:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/55byvnJ

However the GPU is now running at PCI Express X2 Gen 2 speeds as opposed to Gen 3 speeds that it was when seated in the primary PCI E slot in my motherboard.

ArYcEz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
I've now run the GTA V benchmark as well as 3DMark timespy in both configurations
In GTA V here are my results:

PCI Express X2 Gen 2:
Average framerate : 154.3 FPS
Minimum framerate : 73.9 FPS
Maximum framerate : 267.9 FPS
1% low framerate : 5.8 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 4.8 FPS

PCI Express X16 Gen 3:

Average framerate : 158.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 85.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 267.9 FPS
1% low framerate : 78.8 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 6.1 FPS

So there's a minimal difference, though when running the card in the PCI Express X2 Gen 2 slot the card clocked all the way up to 2100 Mhz whereas in the PCI Express X16 Gen 3 slot the card stayed at 1658Mhz.

For the 3DMark timespy scores, with the card in the PCI Express X2 Gen 2 slot it got a overall score of 6260 and with the card in the PCI Express X16 Gen 3 slot it got a score of 7060, so quite a difference when the card is at 100% load.
(Also I doubt the card or the slot was actually PCI Express X2 Gen 2, that's just what Nvidia control panel reported it as.)

Last edited:

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
Hey mate, I saw your thread and I have some new ideas for you:
1: how are you seeing the usage for your graphic card? I used the windows task manager and I got a 20% on apex legends at Max on 1440p playing smoothly on a 1070, so that demonstrates that it is not accurate in that game for example, in others I get the 100. So maybe just the thing is a bad reporting.
2: check your PSU, you should be needing more power than the PSU can offer so that could be limitations the graphic card, check the power drag from your components to see if it does not go fully up.
3: you said that on furmak it went up to 100%, furmak uses OpenGL and GTA V works even with DX10, maybe the problem is one the libraries and that is why other games are not affected, because you have tried some other that works with newer versions of DX.

Check this and let me know if I helped!!!

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well your issue might that you are using 1 connector instead of 2 different ones, which can limit the power delivery to your graphic card.
Your power supply has to come with more than one PCI-e power connectors.

ArYcEz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
Hey mate, I saw your thread and I have some new ideas for you:
1: how are you seeing the usage for your graphic card? I used the windows task manager and I got a 20% on apex legends at Max on 1440p playing smoothly on a 1070, so that demonstrates that it is not accurate in that game for example, in others I get the 100. So maybe just the thing is a bad reporting.
2: check your PSU, you should be needing more power than the PSU can offer so that could be limitations the graphic card, check the power drag from your components to see if it does not go fully up.
3: you said that on furmak it went up to 100%, furmak uses OpenGL and GTA V works even with DX10, maybe the problem is one the libraries and that is why other games are not affected, because you have tried some other that works with newer versions of DX.

Check this and let me know if I helped!!!

I'm at school right now so I won't be able to test anything, but I use MSI Afterburner to see performance metrics, such as the GPU usage. As for if it's a PSU power limitation, I'm not sure but the only limits my GPU hits are two things: "no load limit" and "voltage limit" (I can't remember having ever had any other kind of limitation such as temperature or power limits. Unfortunately I won't be able to test the other directX modes right now though, I will try that out when I come home-

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
I'm at school right now so I won't be able to test anything, but I use MSI Afterburner to see performance metrics, such as the GPU usage. As for if it's a PSU power limitation, I'm not sure but the only limits my GPU hits are two things: "no load limit" and "voltage limit" (I can't remember having ever had any other kind of limitation such as temperature or power limits. Unfortunately I won't be able to test the other directX modes right now though, I will try that out when I come home-
Ok, let me know, but it looks like a power to me got a similar situation and changing the PSU for a more powerful one fixed it

ishaankaushik

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 7, 2017
I was not talking only about latest windows version. You have to install any and all available updates.

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
If it were a power issue wouldn't MSI Afterburner show the "power limit," or is the "voltage limit" the same or at least similar?
The power limit is a setting you can set to limit the power consumption on your graphic card, and the voltage limit has to do with the voltage entering your GPU processor, they are related because if you rise the voltage limit then the power limit will have to go up too to because the power consumption will increase.

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
The power limit is a setting you can set to limit the power consumption on your graphic card, and the voltage limit has to do with the voltage entering your GPU processor, they are related because if you rise the voltage limit then the power limit will have to go up too to because the power consumption will increase.
What power supply do you have Btw?

ishaankaushik

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 7, 2017
I will make sure to check for any and all types of windows updates once I come home, I assume that you're asking about driver updates as well.
No disable driver updates from windows. Also If you are getting aroung 60fps with settings that you want and considering that your card reaches 100% in stress tests I think it is MSI's Vbios (which you can't change) responsible for that kind of behaviour.

ArYcEz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
No disable driver updates from windows. Also If you are getting aroung 60fps with settings that you want and considering that your card reaches 100% in stress tests I think it is MSI's Vbios (which you can't change) responsible for that kind of behaviour.

I'm at my computer now, and I'm going to sound a bit daft but, how and which drivers would you suggest that I disable?

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
I have an Antec HCG 520W PSU, so not the greatest.
Should be enough for your PC, if you want you can try something to see if it is hardware or software: stress your cpu and GPU separately and log all the data of the tests, and then stress both your cpu and GPU at the same time and compare the data, if they can run both at 100% separately and when running together they don't go up to 100% then there is a hardware problem, but if they can then that is software, you can do it using Aida for cpu and furmark for GPU, and cpu-z and gpu-z for getting the log

ArYcEz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
Hey everyone, thank you all for the suggestions, however none of them seemed to work. My plan at the moment is to buy some X.M.P compatible ram (a proper 16Gb kit.) I will update this thread to see if it fixes my issue, if not then I assume that it is a PSU issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.