News GTX 1650 Takes Top GPU Spot in Steam Hardware Survey

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I'm very suspicious of such claims to say that a GTX 1650 could come back from the dead to make bold claims.
We are in 'strange times' but not over the top yet.

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
I'm very suspicious of such claims to say that a GTX 1650 could come back from the dead to make bold claims.
We are in 'strange times' but not over the top yet.
Not all people have high refresh rate monitors, nor the money needed for high-end gaming.
GTX 1650 is still good enough for 60FPS 1080p gaming at medium settings and will get the job done.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Not all people have high refresh rate monitors, nor the money needed for high-end gaming.
GTX 1650 is still good enough for 60FPS 1080p gaming at medium settings and will get the job done.
That's pretty true. Back in 2020 I was still rocking a EVGA GTX780 that I purchased back in 2013. It played every 1080p game I tried and got decent results in medium settings and some games I could dial up to high settings. It even produced close to 60FPS by dialing back one or two of the highest graphic settings in F1 2019 and F1 2020 in 1080p. That card had only 3GB of VRAM

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

not just that but only a small number feel they JUST HAVE TO HAVE the high refresh rate, all the eye candy checked, super resolution and so on and so on. most of use are just happy playing the game and enjoy it. rather then spending all our time worrying about benchmarks, checking all the boxes in settings, "super ultra mega" mode in the game and on and on and on.

it's just not that important to the majority of users. it's a vocal minority that worries about all that, but it's still a minority as shown by the survey every time it comes out. the top cards are never that high up overall.

Wassco

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
I snagged a 3090 24gb for 800 cdn ( used obviously ) . I felt it was worth it ( and it's performing amazing ). I don't regret it at all. And came from a 5700 with modded fw. That card still holds its own rather well.

I could see the older cards pulling off 1080 with little issues.. this isn't * bs * by any means. Tweak a card right you can push its usage for a bit

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Glad to see that Linux gaming continues to slowly make its way into the mainstream.

Was looking at ProtonDB the other day and I never really thought about it but it was surprising to me to see how many studios are now publishing Linux-native binaries.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've stuck to the 80 class cards for a while, but when I was a youth using summer job money (during an era where you could double or triple performance every generation) I bought some low end stuff. MX400, 4200Ti, FX 5200, 6600.

50/60 class cards are exactly what they should be. And I can see a lot of those getting purchased when anything from the 60 and up series was commanding double retail numbers. Probably just a bump in OEM (refurb OEM as well) desktop sales with low end GPUs. Now that pricing is sort of back to normal, probably see the mid-range creep back up.

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I've stuck to the 80 class cards for a while, but when I was a youth using summer job money (during an era where you could double or triple performance every generation) I bought some low end stuff. MX400, 4200Ti, FX 5200, 6600.
50/60 class cards are exactly what they should be. And I can see a lot of those getting purchased when anything from the 60 and up series was commanding double retail numbers. Probably just a bump in OEM (refurb OEM as well) desktop sales with low-end GPUs. Now that pricing is sort of back to normal, probably see the mid-range creep back up.

Not to harp upon the word 'normal' but I'm still waiting for that 'normal' to return.
Not holding my breath for this to happen.
I went from an Nvidia 1050Ti to an Nvidia 3060 and there was a noticeable difference in FPS and Ray Tracing using a monitor that is going on 7 years old.
I'm not playing the games that push GPU and monitors to the 'bleeding edge'.
If prices were 'normal' I would upgrade to Nvidia 4070/4080 but not for the current going prices.
I'm only too happy to stay where I'm at with my 3060 for what looks like quite a while.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not to harp upon the word 'normal' but I'm still waiting for that 'normal' to return.
I went from an Nvidia 1050Ti to an Nvidia 3060 and there was a noticeable difference in FPS and Ray Tracing using a monitor that is going on 7 years old.
If prices were 'normal' I would upgrade to Nvidia 4070/4080 but not for the current going prices.
I'm only too happy to stay where I'm at with my 3060 for what looks like quite a while.

4070 wouldn't be in the normal range either. Since 20 series that has been well into premium territory. ($600 for an RTX 2070, $500 for the 2070 Super) (1070 launched at $450) (3070 kind of flipped with the 3070 being $500 and the 3070Ti being $600 despite a very tight performance gap) Traditional mid-range hovers between 200 and 250.

I suppose it depends on how you define normal.

If you go back to the 900 series, the GTX960 was truly the last cheap 60 series card. (Cheaper than the 760 and 660 even) And that was when we had several generations in a row on 28nm process nodes, so they really did get better yields every generation and memory sizes barely doubled in that time.

You have to correct for inflation, process node price increases(demand), increased memory capacities (not to mention speeds, which require fancier PCBs to keep signal integrity), and to some extent to increase in die size. Though we are trending back down with the 40 series (but then again, they basically shifted every category up a notch, so the mid-range size chips are now the 4070Ti and presumably the 4070 may be more akin to what would normally be a sub 60 class GPU)

Probably not going to see another major reduction in general pricing until all the fabs under construction now have hit their stride in the latter half of this decade.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Also the main point I was trying to convey was that cheaper mid-range cards will proliferate since the extreme price gouging has ended. It is no longer people paying too much to get any GPU, they can now pick and choose what to get.

Though this will have created a large group that probably bought 3080 and the like because it was cheaper to get a whole desktop than buy something like a retail 3060 at the time.

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
"Probably not going to see another major reduction in general pricing until all the fabs under construction now have hit their stride in the latter half of this decade."

Given how much time I have left 'behind the stick' I will have forgotten how to spell 'PC' :p:oops: