[SOLVED] GTX 1660 Super doesn't boost (power limit disabled)

Oct 13, 2022
I notice that my GTX 1660 super GPU clock doesn't boost over 1530 MHz under the load (games, benchmarks etc.), but it should be at least 1750-1800 MHz. As far as I know Nvidia Boost depends on target temperature, voltage and power limit, but in my GPU Tweak III there is no power limit slider, in MSI Afterburner power limit is locked also, I simply can't change power limit anywhere.
Any idea how to fix it?

Asus Dual GTX 1660 Super

Not sure what userbenchmark is going to tell us....

1530MHz is the base clock for a 1660 Super

Things that will limit GPU Boost3.0:
  • Voltage cap
  • power cap
  • frequency cap
  • temp cap
Depends on what benchmark is running, but some (OCCT could definitely prevent most cards from hitting max boost). I personally use FurMark to test and GPUz to monitor. Keep an eye on temp and power usage primarily. 100% power should be roughly 125W. And you probably don't want to see temps go over 80C for purposes of testing (80C isn't going to damage the GPU, but it's getting close to the point where it could induce thermal throttling)

You have an 8-pin power connected to the GPU?

I'm not a huge fan of GPU tweak. My brother was running into some issues with settings not applying. Afterburner is unnecessarily complex once you go past the main screen/window, but it gets the job done.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 13, 2022
1530MHz is the base clock for a 1660 Super
Asus Dual GTX 1660 Super specs says "OC Edition: Boost Clock 1860 MHz (OC Mode)/ 1830 MHz (Gaming Mode)". It's not a one fan, power limited, cut version of the card, so it must boost.

Depends on what benchmark is running, but some (OCCT could definitely prevent most cards from hitting max boost). I personally use FurMark to test and GPUz to monitor.
I tried few benchmarks (including FurMark, Superposition etc.) and some games on ultra settings. It never goes above 1530 MHz.

Keep an eye on temp and power usage primarily. 100% power should be roughly 125W. And you probably don't want to see temps go over 80C for purposes of testing (80C isn't going to damage the GPU, but it's getting close to the point where it could induce thermal throttling)
Temps are definitely not a case, 62-64C after 20 min of benchmark.
I don't have physical device to measure real power consumption. GPU-Z says "Power Consumption: 0% TDP" both idle/load, what is strange.
Also GPU voltage doesn't go above 0.781 V

I think problem is somewhere in power limits.

You have an 8-pin power connected to the GPU?
Yes, 8-pin power is on (6+2 connector). Before that I had a card with 2 x 6-pin and it worked.

I'm not a huge fan of GPU tweak. My brother was running into some issues with settings not applying. Afterburner is unnecessarily complex once you go past the main screen/window, but it gets the job done.
Yes, I don't like GPU tweak too, but as far as I understand it's default Nvidia boost tool.

Oct 13, 2022
Yeahhhh. This is definitely the problem. Was this a used card? Maybe someone flashed the vBIOS and capped it to the base clock 1530MHz for mining.
Yes, I got it used (~1 year old).

GPU-Z shows:
Subvendor: NVIDIA
BIOS version: 90.16.59.00.28

I googled GPU-Z screenshots specifically for this model and on all of them subvendor is ASUS, not NVIDIA. Maybe flashed BIOS is the case.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 13, 2022
Yeah, problem was at BIOS level.

I backup current BIOS and flashed with original one for this card (you listed right one).
Now all power related limits are gone and GPU boosts to ~1800MHz.
After 1h of Furmark I got.
GPU temp(Max): 70C
Hot spot: 82C

I'm going to do more tests and monitor temps to find optimal settings, but seems it's ok now.

Big thanks for help! :)