GTX 275 at 99% usage for all games

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I have a gigabyte gtx 275 super overclocked. At first in my new computer it never broke 50% gpu usage in Modern Warfare 2. Now all games are running 99% gpu usage and 100% fan speed. What could be causing this? I have tried different drivers, re-installing windows, and have been searching for an answer for almost a week. I am about to RMA the card. I'm pretty sure all games pushing the card to 99% gpu usage isn't normal.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
The point IS to use 100% of the GPU to deliver MAX FPS.
Lets say at 50% usage you get 40FPS, the point in getting a GTX 275 is so you can do 100% and get 80FPS. If it kept running at 50% wouldn't it be the same as a GTS 250 at 100%?
It's a simple philosophical question.

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Alright, but my problem is that I went from gaming just fine in MW2 at never anymore than 60% gpu usage and for sure not 100% fan speed to always using 99% and 100% fan speed (according to gpu-z) Now, this wouldn't really bother me except that why did it change? What happened all of a sudden that made my card kick into turbo. I should have ran benchmarks BEFORE I had problems, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess. I'm getting 10398 on 3d mark and the crysis bench im only pulling 20-25fps. on a super overclocked gtx 275...I dunno. I just don't understand why all of a sudden my card started getting slightly higher gpu temps, higher gpu usage, and higher memory usage playing mw2. The gpu has never seen temps above 77c, and has a max temp of 105c. I seriously am using 700-1000mb of vram to run MW2 at 1680 x 1050. that can't possibly be right. It never used to go over 400-500mb of vram.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Is this modern warfare 2 that just bumped up to 100% gpu usage or is this another game because it could be a simple answer. Because on modern warefare 2 it could be that your cpu is the bottleneck therefore only requiring 60% gpu usage compared to more graphically intense games such as crysis(generic example)

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
sorry just realized i didn't read all the way through your 2nd post but 20-25 fps is pretty normal for crysis if your on very high i have a evga gtx275 which is probably clocked a bit higher and i get in the 25-30 range and about 12000ish i haven't run a future mark for awhile. for the memory usage, i have no idea unless you have some background program sucking up resourses

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

I have the gigabyte gtx 275 super overclocked. My processor I currently have is the 720BE oc to 3.4ghz. at least its good to know im not too far off on the future mark with my 10,400 score, what is your cpu running at? I had actually ran all the way through MW2 one full time before this started happening. no programs in the background sucking up any resources, right now gpu-z is reporting 68mb on windows aero desktop. earlier in MW2 it jumped to 950mb. This started some time after running stability test on furmark. The gpu has never been over 77c though. My biggest red flag is the vram being utilized so much at only 1650 x 1080 resolution. I never thought I would touch a full 896mb, lets alone a gig of vram.

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Maybe you had vsync on before? That would keep the video card only doing work for frames that will show fully on screen.

Otherwise I really have no idea. I didn't knew you could see the the vga usage to be honest, but I'm using ATI.

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
envolva is probably correct. I turn on v-sync or use the frame limiter in Source games to keep the max fps to 120, because that is the most I can see anyway because of the refresh rate of my monitor. That way, my GPU doesn't try to render like 300 fps and generate lots of heat needlessly. If you don't have a 3D capable 120 Hz monitor, just use v-sync or fps_max_60 to block the GPU from rendering frames you cannot see.

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Yeah, I have 120hz monitor and nvidia 3d kit. Its pretty amazing...or, it was until I tried to solve the current issue by re-installing windows as a nuclear option. (which, by the way didnt fix my problem) did however mess up my 3d lol....nice.

I had read a lot on furmark before trying it, because yes...its a bit scary to read some other peoples horror stories. I wasn't going full out though, I used stability test, and the temp never reached over 77c (the max temp for gtx 275 gpu is 105c) so I know I couldn't have caused any heat damage. Which while playing MW2 the gpu never used to go more than 53-55 I just got done with a 30 minute gaming session and its was sitting at 63.

I tried turning on the v-sync...no change. It actually peaked at 1005mb of memory used. That's insane. It sucks really bad, this is a really rare card that as far as I know is not being made anymore, and aside from not having on board graphics to hold me the two months it would probably take to RMA to gigabyte, I more than likely would not be able to get this card again. Not sure what they would do in that situation, probably stiff me and give me a stock 275.

I have tried v-sync now
re-installing drivers (two different sets)
switching pci-e slots
tried two other pci-e power connectors
re-installing operating system

I also just noticed that while running crysis demo there are visual glitches in the far off distance. Considering the circumstances, I'm going to assume that isn't normal. This sucks, its starting to look like RMA city for me.

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

That is a fairly good question, I have no idea. Gpu-z does not have a temperature readout for the vram. Only gpu and pcb. That is what the conclusion im coming to, is that the vram may have gotten a bit too warm. I just cant imagine furmark did that, I know xtreme burn option can do some serious stuff...but just the stability test? I have more than enough sufficient cooling and was running the card within spec. I'm still waiting to hear back from gigabyte. If their response time is any indication of how long an RMA would take...im going to pilfer my wifes 9600gt oc and let her run onboard til I get my card back.

Also wasn't that much of a slow roast, It only ran for about 5 minutes. ;)

Still don't understand why it wouldn't just crash out though, instead its trying to max itself to keep up possibly. What a champ. I have effectively run out of ideas to make it work correctly, so with about everything else eliminated it leaves the only conclusion, the card is probably messed up. So, guess ill have to cross my fingers and hope the RMA process doesn't take 2 months to complete. I hope they can fix my sexy card :(

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Well, after getting the full version of 3dmark06 I have found I have a score of slightly over 12,000 now (guess the trial is different as it is not using as many test?) I did not perform the cpu test in conjunction with the graphics card test this time. Aside from the high vram usage I am honestly not seeing any other problems with the graphics card issues at all. The temp goes to a max of 65c while running crysis on full settings. All gigabyte has been able to tell me so far is a lot of nothing...and more nothing, and then "try card in different computer." So...next time, I buy evga. Well, it is a newer card. I have a 3 year warranty from date of manufacture on the card, so if it fails...then I'll get an equivalent card after waiting 2-3 working business weeks.