GTX 460 2GB: worth the wait?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sikcle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
So most of the manufacturers of the GeForce gtx 460 fermi cards have 768MB and 1GB versions released.

Now several of them are prepping non-reference 2GB versions.

Are these worth the wait, performance boast and price increase?

Anyone care to guess as to how much more these things should cost and relative performance inc.?

Broken link, anyways I assume you are running anything between a 27/30" LCD with your setup (or triple display?) Enlighten us and post your results, I would love to see the gains you have obtained by having 2 extra gigs of ram :)

Lapton

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

I'm all for dual 2gb 460s, but I highly doubt that they would outperform a single 480 in a game that isn't optimized well for SLI. So, I think that the solution to the problem would be for a GPU distributor to make a 2gb 480 with all 512(?) CUDA cores unlocked. This GPU would work well in games not designed for SLI, and also have enough VRAM for games such as modded Oblivion, GTA4, etc. Also, it would completely own the 5870, and it would probably also beat the 6870 in most situations. Because of this, I'm still confused as to why Palit or another company hasn't done this yet.

ares1214

Splendid

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/181?vs=158

Highly doubt they would beat a 480 in games? Those are the 1 gigs. You all way overestimate the value of memory. Unless you are using triple 2560x1600 monitors, 4 gigs of VRAM is a utter waste. 2 is too much for normal resolutions. And that unlocked one would definitely beat a 5870. Its a one year old card. Except its very low yield, would be very high cost/temps/power, and i highly doubt it will beat a 6870 in most situations. 6870 is supposed to be 20-30% better than the GTX 480. It would be pretty impossible to get performance like that from a small and simple upgrade.

The problem with the benchmarks you posted, is they don't show the 1GB version of the 460's. It doesn't tell us anything about weither the extra memory helps.

There are setups and settings that are capible of giving the extra vram an advantage, but it's rare. You have to have at least 1920x1200 resolution and maxing out AA (or perhaps Super-sampling AA) to have any games see an advantage, and it would still be the rare game that would see an advantage.

The 2500+ resolutions with AA would be the main advantage of the 460 2gb, but at that resolution, it might not have the power to allow you to up the AA to those levels that it needs the ram.

I believe that is those conditions that I was talking about. Extreme resolutions do give a reason for the extra ram.

quantichem

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
my 2 cents here as well: this card is particularly useful for those who like to do some programming in CUDA - 2GB lets you do some very nice calculations. i don't pretend to read the minds of nvidia but this is probably what these cards are targeted for

Status
Not open for further replies.