Gtx 480 VS. 8800 Gtx , My upgrade and benchmarks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

More Pics (Link below)

http://pbckt.com/s3.wnJ

Today I just got my new Galaxy Gtx 480 and replaced it with my old 8800gtx. I thought I would post pics and I did some benchmarks just in case any of you with an 8800gtx wants to see what upgrading to a Gtx 480 will do.

I am upgrading the Gtx 480 to a water cooling kit, but unfortunately I had some trouble with parts getting damaged and am waiting for my new parts to arrive, also, I just got lucky enough to order a Danger Den GTX 480 Block with nickel top and copper base. So when I get that, and All my parts, Ill repost everything with the new pics. Hope you enjoy.

Here are the benchmarks:

Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core i7 920, 3200 MHz (20 x 160)
System Memory 3072 MB 3 x 1 GB DDR3-1333 (Corsair XMS3 CM3X1G1333C9)
Audio Adapter Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic
Hitatchi 1.0 terabyte deskstar 7200rpm 32mb buffer
Windows 7 ultimate 64

Graphics cards- 8800 Gtx vs. Gtx 480

All test ran on 8800 Gtx, then card pulled out and switched to Gtx 480 and ran again.

Crysis benchmark

Settings:

1920 x 1200
Anti Aliasing= 8X
DirectX 10
64bit
quality settings- all set to VeryHigh
loops= 1
time of day= 9

8800 Gtx:
Min FPS= 2.65
Max FPS= 8.20
Ave FPS= 6.89

Gtx 480:
Min FPS= 14.67
Max FPS= 30.17
Ave FPS= 25.32

Far Cry 2

Settings:

Ranch Long
loops= 1
1920 x 1200
Anti Aliasing= 8X
DirectX 10
Quality Settings- everything set to very high
accept Ambient and Post FX are set to high
Bloom & HDR are checked

8800 Gtx:
Min FPS= 16.26
Max FPS= 57.07
Ave FPS= 28.38

Gtx 480:
Min FPS= 48.30
Max FPS= 157.05
Ave FPS= 86.94

Heaven Benchmark 2.0

Settings:

DirectX 10
Shaders= high
Anistropy= 16
Anti-aliasing= 4X
Fullscreen
Resolution= 1920 x 1200

8800 Gtx:
Min FPS= 8.6
Max FPS= 36.1
Ave FPS= 18.7

Gtx 480:
Min FPS= 26.1
Max FPS= 91.9
Ave FPS= 47.5

Grand Theft Auto IV

Thought you might like this test as gpu in this situation makes a huge difference.

Settings:

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

other settings:
Vehicle Density= 100
definition= on

8800 Gtx:
AVE FPS= 30.55

Gtx 480
Ave FPS= 64.79

OTHER:

GTAIV GTX 480 Max Settings

Statistics
Average FPS: 63.55
Duration: 37.34 sec
CPU Usage: 37%
System memory usage: 87%
Video memory usage: 85%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

other settings:
Vehicle Density= 100
definition= on

Temp Comparison
(i did not do an exact benchmark, these are just the min and max I observed)

8800 GTX: (with aftermarket cooler)
Min Temp= 42C
Max Temp= 56C

GTX 480:
Min Temp=49C
Max Temp=90C
UPDATE: Max temp has hit 91C so far, I will update if I see higher temps.
UPDATE: Min temp so far is 46C

On a side note: My case is a huge case, and is a little loud, but,
going from the 8800 Gtx to the Gtx 480, I have not noticed it being any louder at all. I was expecting a huge difference, but I don't think anyone would notice a sound difference, even at full load. Maybe it's the placement of my case, I dunno.
I actually think the card is very quiet in the thermalright armo+ case.

UPDATE: I have noticed in some games when I'm playing for a bit that the fan does get loud, it's not extremely loud, but it is noticeable. It's like it's warning me, "hey, im getting hot, hurry up and water cool me"..

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

Thanks. :D What is jahs? :bounce:

Oh, one thing I wanted to comment on was the thickness of the side panel, I was worried they would be to much weight for two raidators , fans, reservoirs, all with liquid in them, but Thermaltakes armor+ series are awsome cases for the price, I am so happy with this case, the panels are super thick, and they barely flex with everything on them. Extremely well made case. One thing is funny though, sitting on the carpet, the case leans to the side a little. I Swear it probably weights about 60-70 LBS the way I have it set up now :eek: . I had to get my wife's help to move it. Unfortunately it won't fit on my pc cart now, so I have to get a different cart, or build one, so I can roll it around. Definitely not for lan parties.

I actually was thinking about building a plexiglass frame with magnetic tape rolls to hold everything to the side of the case so I wouldn't have to drill into it, but I didn't have the proper tools to do it, so at the last minute I decided to just go with my original plan. I was gonna make the whole cooling system removable so I didn't damage the case, just stick it to the side, and unstick it when I needed to remove it.. I don't know if the magnets would have held that much weight athough, so I'm glad I went the way I did. Have to save that project for another build. I did research working with acrylic though and I learned alot. Lot of youtube video's out there, and it's not a hard material to work with, so I think my next build will be acrylic.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
to the OP, The pump you have looks like the pumps I have (MP655) ?? I have a question, have you been able to adjust the speed? I bought 2 of these a 360 radiate, 240 radiator, 2 reservoirs, planned on running 2 loops, ended up only runing one, but I tried to change the speed to 5, and the darn red th ing broke, so the pump that I'm using I didn't bother trying to change it as it also seemed hard to turn and I didn't want to break it as I didn't know how that would work (If the pump wouldn't pump, or I'd just be stuck at 2). Any help is appreciated. Thanks

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Thanks cromedome. :D I'll throw that word around in america and see if it catches on. :D

microterf- (yes same pump- don't you mean mcp655?) I haven't tried to adjust it yet. I was gonna turn it down to the minimum and if I get close to the same temps then leave it there so I get more life out of my pump. I just haven't done it yet. My pump is so close to my H.D. bay that I have to pull that out first to get to it. Luckily it's only one screw, but either way, my PC literally weighs about 60-70 pounds and almost impossible to move, so I was planning on getting a stand with wheels so i can roll it around easily. Gonna get one this week, as soon as I do i'll let you know how it goes. I'll p.m. you.

I just gave my friend a call as he has the exact same pump, and he said his speed control works fine on his, he thinks you got a faulty one. I'll test mine this week and let you know.

Just an idea: If you are still having trouble, you can always get one of these. You might have to solder a resistor connected from the black wire to the red wire, that way if you turn it down too far, the electricity will go through the resistor (electricity runs through the least resistant path) and the pump won't stop. You will have to experiment with different resistors to see which one gives you the lowest pump speed without shutting it down. That way if someone comes over they don't accidentally shut your pump off playing with the knob. It will also be a backup if the potentiometer (knob) burns up or fails for some reason, the power will go through the resistor and keep the pump going. So basically adding the resistor will raise the minimum pump speed, and act as a failsafe if the knob burns up for some reason.

http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=FC-01

FC-01-1_500.jpg

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
yes, the MCP655. I know how you feel about moving everything around. I have everything in a Corsair Obsidien 800D. Not sure exactly how much it all weighs, but it's heavy enough to make me hate moving it at all.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

Well, today I finally got around to changing my pump speed. The red dial turned really easily. I turned it down to level 3. It wasn't hard to turn at all. So if your having problems turning yours, then I would just assume your adjustment dial is broken. It turned easy. Anyways, going from level 5 to level 3 only changed my minimum temp by 1C, but it might be ambient that is changing it, not sure as I didn't test. Also haven't tested max yet. I'll do it tomorrow. Too busy today.