GTX 570 SLI or new mobo

Syncedin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hi guys

I recently brought a GTX 570 to replace my ageing GTS 8800 on a whim, while wowed by the graphics when playing games like Deus Ex Human revolution and the Witcher 2 the frame rate is less than ideal when the graphics are maxed out. So I'm wondering whether the CPU is the issue or do I need to go SLI?

My system specs are listed below:
Motherboard - nvidia 680i
CPU - Intel core 2 6700 2.66ghz overclocked to 3.05 ghz
Memory - 4GB, 5-5-5-18, 800hz oc'd to 950mhz

Thanks in advance for any help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Depending upon the resolution you game at (above 1680x1050?), you are probably being limited by a combination of factors. The elderly dual core, the slow bus, the marginal 4GB of memory. All good components in their time, but holding back your racehorse 570. Also, clean your system with something like CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER (clean and registry) to eliminate wasted resources. If the frame rate in DE:HR is choppy with the 570, going SLI isn't the answer. For example, my secondary machine is a humble i3-2100, a single HD 6850, 8G DDR3 1333MHZ, and at 1680x1050 I have no problem running max settings and all eye candy with great frame rates and no stuttering. You may have reached the "time to modernize" point.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gaming-performance,3007-5.html

What is your monitor? resolution?
PSU? Brand? model?

OC your CPU a little bit (let's say 3.4GHz or more) and report here again about the result... Note that your CPU is still 2 Cores CPU, most of games recently are required Quad Cores CPU to play with decent setting... :)

Syncedin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Cheers clutchc, very much appreciated, something I've been thinking I'd need to do for a while now, been using ccleaner regularly so I guess it's time to get shot of the old mobo.

Syncedin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Hi wa1, I would love to overclock my cpu further but 3.0ghz seems to be the stability wall I've reached when stress testing the cpu, while I would consider a new cooler to replace the old asus silent square pro which I'd guess is the problem I'd wonder whether the money isn't better spent on a new mobo, cpu & ram like clutchc suggested.

My monitor is a HP LP2475W 1920/1200 with a 60hz refresh rate (not the best for gaming but an excellent monitor for design and games really do look vivid and beautiful on it)

PSU is the Corsair TX 950W (which I think you'll agree is more than capable of handling the current load)

lozz08

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
In my opinion, you would be far better off spending the money on a 2500k+MOBO+DDR3. Adding another 570 will allow for even more eye candy, but investing in the above now will last you a few years with a medium overclock whereas that dual core's days are very numbered.