Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
PC SPECS:

Processor: i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz 3.90 GHz
RAM: 8GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti
Motherboard:Gigabyte b75-d3v

Alright so I mainly use my PC for gaming. I've been able to play games like GTA V on low with a solid 60 FPS. Though I mainly played CS:GO, where my fps was very solid, it would never drop below 100 pretty much I recently had issues.

There was an issue with GTA V and Nvidia where your character would have black lines on his body, and in order to fix that, you would have to install some new drivers for your graphics card. I did that and it did result in fixing the black lines plus my PC was working as good as ever really. I had some fun that day and went to bed. Waking up yesterday I've encountered many issues. My PC was very on startup, eventually it would become stable. Then, GTA V went from a solid 60 FPS & no lag to pretty much uber lag and uplayable while CS:GO became capped at 120 FPS, which was less-more the lowest it would get before and it would often drop down to 60 or even 30 and such.

I am no tech expert but here are the things I've tried, none have worked and all out of ideas I come here:

Opened my PC case, cleaned the PC from dust.

Formated my windows in case viruses/malware or what not was the issue.

Being as this started recently after the driver update for GTA V that I did, I've tried rerolling to some previous versions, although I sadly don't remember the exact one that I used when everything worked fine. I tried using the latest, the oldest, in the middle and nothing really did the deal, the same issue is still there.

I've messed a bit with the Nvidia Control Panel and saw some changed had effect. For instance I would change some thing and the fps in CS:GO would change from the 120 to even less 60, or it would be only a bit better then 120 or just more consistent at 120.

Keep in mind its not constantly 120 FPS, it drops very often to 50 or 30 or even less which is VERY bad in a game of CS:GO nature. So esentially, what I've concluded from the issue I have here is that is related to the Graphics Card, although im all out of ideas on how to fix it, like I said I am no tech expert so thank any of you in advance for your help.

So the FPS in those games kinda dropped like a looot. If you need me to post any more info or anything please say so! :)

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I used the latest and this problem persisted now I don't use the latest. Because I thought it might be a driver issue so I went to the old one. I will get the new one again. As for my GPU and CPU temps, they are as follows:

GPU when idle less more: http://prntscr.com/7duagm
GPU in a game: http://prntscr.com/7dubfg

CPU when idle: http://prntscr.com/7duc9y
CPU in game: http://prntscr.com/7ducu0

Seems CPU is quite hot though it usually isn't and as I've said I did my best to clean the PC from dust.

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

Also the CPU fan is spinning quite "normal" from what I can see. I see no issues with it. As for the heat enviorment, sure I suppose my room does get a bit hot during mid day but only slightly. It doesn't get THAT hot to the point where it would make sense it makes the CPU overheat like that. I think the CPU should be fixed a bit, I'll get some way to cool it but as you've seen above even at normal temperatures on my CPU & everything else the FPS problem STILL is there.

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Also I've noticed that it caps my games-.. Like it puts a cap on them, the CPU or GPU or whatever on its own. Is that possible? For instance, the main menu when I play CS:GO caps exactly at 120. That is not the FPS that I had before, im not sure whether it floated or was solid as it is now but it was way above 120 for starters. OR for instance now I've just played a game of League of Legends. It caps at 60. Jumps to 70 sometimes, drops to 50, 40 minimally but 80% it keeps it exactly at 60. The FPS cap on both LoL and CS:GO are unlimited, I've set it so. Im really no expert but the fps drop I have isn't random really. Its not like I play like I used to, LoL at a solid 250fps, then it drops down to 120 minimal in the middle of a team fight (lots of effects and so on). Now its just 60, pretty much no matter what happens but it kinda feels sloopy and laggy. It feels like someone decided to cut my FPS in half and then cap it at a certain point. I've never had a similar problem like this in my life so I can't possible thing of the cause. Also I use an SSD 120 GB Kingston for my Windows, just figured it might be worth mentioning.

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

There is no possibility of a malware, as I've mentioned in my original post, I've formated my windows fully, all the partions. At first I thought this to be the case as well but having a freshly formated PC, surely that can not be the case? As for the gpu and monitor thing, I haven't really touched any of those cables at all, as I've said my knowledge is basic pretty much so can you please elaborate those two things, the monitor and the pci-e thing for me :)

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
The monitor is indeed connected to the motherboard from what I see, so that seems to be the case. I have done the rollback on the GPU and it SEEMS to have fixed the issue but I will run a few more tests, crossing my fingers.

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

Alright I have rolled back as you've said and the problem fixed however my entire PC became unresponsive except Google Chrome literally. I couldn't access anything else or click on my desktop at all as if everyone thing froze so I was forced to restart the PC and now the same problem is back. Perhaps I should reroll the driver again because I was forced to "force" restart my PC because I couldn't shut it down normally so I had to use the button, so perhaps I should reroll the driver again and instantly restart my PC after or something like such?

EDIT: I've tried once again to enter the game and this keeps getting weirder and weirder. Okay so this time no rerolling again or anythign I've entered the game, the ping was quite alright, not like before but playable for sure. But as I progressed through the game I believe the fan started working harder (not sure whether it was GPU or CPU fan but we saw some big temperature on the CPU one so lets assume that one) and the PC started getting hotter. It didn't get hot but it for sure got hotter.

So how I assume it, it cooled down for whatever reason or what not, the game worked fine for a bit then the FPS lag started coming back, slowly but it was coming back and even though it didn't become as lagy as before it was still quite noticable that it lags.

So lets say the issue lies with the CPU overheating, what steps can I take to fix that?

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

I have opened my PC case from both sides and indeed the CPU is quite hot, so this seems to be 100% the issue. I will try to do the thermal paste process.

Seems the thermal paste is out, yep. I'll get some tomorrow or so and let you know if that fixed it. In the meanwhile I do have one question though.

Is it possible that the paste effect can just happen overnight? As in, I figure once you apply new one it gets worn out and I figure that the heating problems should slowly rise not suddenly? Or maybe I just didn't notice them.

Vitez

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

Replacing the thermal paste seems to have fully fixed the problem, thanks a bunch m8.