GTX 660 High Temp after "baking"

RookieCookieNamNam

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Greetings!

A little backstory:
My friend bought a gtx 660 sc from EVGA, but after about 22 days of running it began crashing (no signal, berserk fans etc...), what he did then was to send it back for a replacement. He got a replacement, but he still had the same problems. So he gave it away to me for free :D I came home and plugged it in and it ran very well with no problems! But a few days leter it began crashing (same type as my mate had). I dug into the problem and discovered that the memory was "corrupt", it had a lot of errors. I read online that "baking" or "reflowing" could help and considering the fact that I most likely didnt have the warranty anymore, I executed it.

My problem:
Right now it.. works... No memory errors but! The temperature readings after playing a game for 15 mins shows that the temperature is at max (97 degrees c). Before the baking process it never went above 90 degrees. What is the problem? Did I apply the new thermal paste wrong? And if thats the case should I reapply it?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner says it is an ordinary GTX 660, not SC or TI

EDIT 2: I used to 40% Vodka to clean off the old thermal paste, is 40% enough?

RookieCookieNamNam

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Okay fine, i'll do it tomorrow, but I'm really interested in knowing exactly why I need to reapply. Is it because I may have used too much/too little? Or are there any other technical reasons behind it?

If it works I will pick your answer as solution :p

You need to apply it as thin as possible.
Also make sure it is not overflowing(try pressing it with a piece of paper and see if it tends to go out of the surface of your GPU chip.
But be careful, don't let it.
The idea is to get the thermal paste in the microscopic gaps between the heatsink and the GPU surface so that heat is transferred very efficiently, so more doesn't really help.

Go thin, but try to cover the entire surface.

Kanav Khanna

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
RookieCookieNamNam

i also have and GTX 660 SC and it just died on me a few days ago and i would like to know at which temperature did you bake tour gtx 660 sc to get it to working again

http://www.overclockers.com/the-oven-trick-repairing-your-broken-video-card-with-an-oven/