[SOLVED] gtx 670 ftw 2gb question

huntleyjames80

Commendable
Jan 13, 2019
First off Hi everyone I'm new here.
I am planning on building a new computer, I got this gtx 670 2gb ftw edition and 16bg ddr4 ram corsair rgb pro edition and I was wondering what would happen if i used it temporarily in a new generation build. (mobo/cpu) Ive about 400$ for a new mobo and chip, I was thinking about going AMD R7 1700 or 2600x or something with intel I5 and a decent mobo, I just dont know what I would be better off doing and I guess I would like to know how well it would preform, main game is sea of thieves and LoL, also wouldn't mind playing some vanilla WoW, D3, maybe GTA5, RDR2, pubg, fortnite. Would the graphics card work with these newer components without big issues, or would it be a matter of turning down graphics to lower settings? I don't know parts picker says its compatible but would it function realistically, I am not 100% sure what bottlenecking is but I assume its something like this scenario.. I will eventually get a better gpu. But will this card handle these games and if so for 400$ what would you suggest for a mobo/cpu and remember ive got 16gb ddr4 3000 as well. THank you for any help and feed back. tyttyty

Solution
Bottleneck is a component that slows down the flow of data between the source and you. Normally, the cpu is strong enough that the gpu is the bottleneck when the user sets too high demands, and a gtx 670 in those games with a ddr4 capable cpu on even a 1080p/60Hz monitor is going to be a bottleneck. But only in the sense of high fps. It'll handle ultra details just fine, but will struggle with 60fps, or be ok for 60fps and low details.

Needless to say, you won't be happy until matching a new gpu upto the ability of the cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($134.16 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bottleneck is a component that slows down the flow of data between the source and you. Normally, the cpu is strong enough that the gpu is the bottleneck when the user sets too high demands, and a gtx 670 in those games with a ddr4 capable cpu on even a 1080p/60Hz monitor is going to be a bottleneck. But only in the sense of high fps. It'll handle ultra details just fine, but will struggle with 60fps, or be ok for 60fps and low details.

Needless to say, you won't be happy until matching a new gpu upto the ability of the cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($134.16 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($47.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB600L ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $377.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-13 19:01 EST-0500

Good start, upgradable as needed

Solution

huntleyjames80

Commendable
Jan 13, 2019

huntleyjames80

Commendable
Jan 13, 2019
Thanks for your fast response Karadjgne I really appreciate it but heres some more info you should know and another question:

Was this a parts picker of what you suggest I go with for 400$?

If so I'm Sorry I forgot to mention no need for psu ,storage ,case, and all that. Just need a cpu and Mobo for 400$ give or takeI will use my ssd and my friend has a psu and I’ve got a decent atx case. Don’t care much for miniatx. But with these components CPU and mobo you suggested I’ll be unhappy until a new gpu? I don’t mind if first with the 670/ddr4 new mobo+CPU I have to play on lower setting and get 60fps? I do have a 60hz monitor. But I cannot afford a good gpu right now. was hoping I could get by with using the 670 and playing at least LoL and Sea of Thieves, playable with no major issues aside from graphics turned down. I couldn't go for a R7 series and better Mobo until I get a better GPU? What about lower resolution? Remember it would be temporary. Im just anxious to start building and maybe play a bit even if on lower settings than 'I would on console as long as im not having lag or stability issues, screen tearing or stutters whatever.