GTX 670 sli VS. GTX 970

XxMongermaniacxX

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
So I have an MSI gtx 670 Power Edition, and I am looking to get a second one. I know I will have to upgrade my cpu, and I am planning

on that (I have a G3258)... I am just wondering how 2 of these msi gtx 670's will perform compared to a gtx 970. I know that the 670's

have 2 gb of vram, while the gtx 970 has "4gb". I am assuming that these gtx 670's will still beat a single 970, and perform closely to a gtx

980, even with the vram difference. (Assuming gaming at 1080p) So the point of this thread is to see what youguys think, and to figure

out which card that these 670's will come close to of the current series nvidia cards.

davidarad02

Admirable
I think that a SLI setup will perform similarly to a 970, but it comes with all the problems that come with SLI, that you will have to deal with.
also, you will have "twice" the vram, so it will benefit you in future games.
ALSO, if you are looking to get a second 670, its probably used, and the 970 is probably new, so it will be a fresh new card, that you know what it has been threw.

I would always pick a good single card when possible.
SLI GTX960 will win you a synthetic benchmark vs GTX970.
But, your gameplay is likely to be better withn a single card.

Dual gpu's do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering or screen tearing. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
You will also look at more noise.

When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 200w to your psu requirements.
75w for the slot, 75w for an extra 6 pin connector or possibly more.

I assume your motherboard is sli capable.

Vram from two 2gb cards is not additive; the GTX970 will be able to use more Vram.

That said, 2gb vs 4gb of vram is not a important factor.

XxMongermaniacxX

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

ok that makes sense. and because of sli, the second card loses 10% of its potential, so two 670's technically would be 190%, and a single 970 is 180%, so really they only beat the 970 by around 5% it seems. which wont make a big difference anyways. sweet! you helped me solve my question! Also, what is the percentage of a gtx 980's performance compared to a gtx 670?