GTX 680 4GB x2 in SLI or GTX 690 4GB x2 in SLI?

adamh10

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi folks,

I'm looking for advice here. I am currently building my new machine and am trying to decide what to do for my graphics cards. I am considering one of two options: two GTX680 4GB cards or two GTX690 4GB cards. I understand that the two cards are both great for different things, and my concern is the amount of available vRAM on the GTX690, which is really only 2GB per card since it is simply two 2GB 680s in SLI, so even with two 690s, which would be quad-SLI, it is still only 2GB of available vRAM... Where as each single GTX680 4GB actually has 4GB of available vRAM.

I'd like to get some thoughts, opinions, and recommendations on which solution is best for long term, all-around performance with every different type of graphically intense environment. I've seen many recommendations for the 690 in various situations such as use on multiple high resolution displays, and many recommendations for the 680 4GB in other environments. I'll try to be as clear as I can: I want to know which is better, keeping in mind I will be using two of each card, for ultimate performance in every possible environment. Should I go with two GTX680 4GB cards in SLI, keeping a total vRAM of 4GB, or should I go with two GTX690s which would ultimately be quad-SLI but still only 2GB of available vRAM but theoretically better performance on higher resolution screens. I know it's a tall order to determine which is best since they're both great at different things, but if I were to say I need the best card for all situations possible, which would be the better choice? If it is apples and oranges and what I'm asking for simply doesn't exist, let me know and I'll wait for nvidia to develop a true 4GB vRAM 690.

Thanks for any advice! The details of my setup are below.

Cheers!

PURCHASE DATE: February 2013

BUDGET RANGE: Unlimited

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Many graphically intense games and FPS's), used on Asus 2560x1440 display, gaming capture card streaming, video editing and streaming, photo design and editing , watching movies

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
- Current GPU: N/A

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
- Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3970x [Six Core]
- CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR3-2133 (8x8GB)
- Storage: 4x Corsair Force GT 480GB SSD in RAID 0 [1920GB]
- Case: NZXT Phantom 820

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference but with shipping to Canada.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Must be ASUS only, and I am not considering anything other than two GTX 680 4GB or two GTX 690 4GB.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2560x1440 (Primary)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Please see above.

------------

EDIT: Looks like I am going to wait and see what nvidia announces with the upcoming titan card and when it will be available and likely will wait it out and go with that. If not, I'll do the tri-SLI with three GTX 680 4GB cards. Thanks to all for the advice!

adamh10

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I will be gaming likely on only one monitor (for now), but will have other displays potentially running at the same time for other purposes. I also don't want to be theoretically tied down to the one monitor for gaming.

Cheers

redeemer

Distinguished
Very nice build excellent components, however ditch that crappy case for a thermaltake gt 10 battle edition

ThermaltakeLevel10GTBattle-06_zps5bfd83e0.jpg

adamh10

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

And the total available vRAM of 2GB will not hinder any ability for gaming? It's the 2GB that is my concern here.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

redeemer

Distinguished

Quad SLI is a pain for gaming probably on 10% more performance over Tri-SLI in gaming. The GTX 690 2GB or vram may hinder you if you go multi-panel.

2gb vram vs. 4gb vram is not an issue in most environments.
Here is one study on that: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154

I think once you get past three gpu's, you can actually lose fps in some cases.
My suggestion is to go ahead and use 2 4gb GTX680 cards and see how you do.
If you really think a third card will help, you can always add one later.

And... you might want to see of the launch of the nvidia "titan" rumored the end of this month might change your approach.
It is rumored to have 6gb of vram and be considerably faster(and pricier) than a GTX680.

ajl2011shooter

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
On 1 monitor it won't be a problem. Some games will use more vram if it's available but they don't require more. For what it's worth I think redeemer is right. I'd go with 3 4gb 680's but you never listed that as a option so I said to go 690's.

fudoka711

Distinguished

I agree with this. If you can't wait til the end of the month for Titan to come out, then start with two 4gb 680's and then work your way up from there. If you are sensitive to microstuttering, using 3 cards generally gets rid of most of it (tom's did a study on it a while back).

Also, Titan is rumored to be 85% (or higher) of a gtx 690, but using only 1 gpu, 6gb vram, little less power, slightly less money. I would wait and see what that's all about if you can.

+1 i agree.

G

Spending all that money on those other specs and your cutting corners with a 27 inch monitor really? Go for the best a 30" 2560 x 1600 ips display. There are so few of us that game at that res, come join the club, the view is nice up here...

adamh10

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Thanks all for the advice - I appreciate all of the responses. I did a little looking around, and I think I'll wait and see what the nvidia Titan brings to the table. The leaked specs look great, so if all is true I'll be looking for one (or two!) of those as soon as it's available.

If not, based on redeemer and ajl2011shooter's advice, I'll go with tri-SLI with three GTX 680 4GB cards.

Cheers - and again, thanks!

+1 i wait it out if there not released in a week or two buy two 670 680's are not worth the extra $100 each GTX 680 is 5% to 7% faster then a 670. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth getting or not. Personally, I don't think GTX 680 is worth extra $100. I'll go with Titans if not SLI GTX 670.

adamh10

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks for the advice folks. The Titan specs are looking good, so hopefully all holds true... I'll wait it out for now. If that doesn't work out I'll do the tri-SLI GTX 680 4GB, but I think I'd like to do two Titans at this point.

Cheers

:lol: I agree with this. ;)

++++1

Excellent. I'd do the same thing, except I'd pick up a 2560 X1600 display too. The extra vertical size is really nice. I have a 16:10 at home and dual 16:9's at work and the 16:9 size annoys me.

redeemer

Distinguished

not really sometimes its only one per customer!