GTX 680 BLANK Screen + Fast spinning fan

Val Laz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello I just purchased a second hand GEFORCE GTX 680 upon plugin it in I get a black screen and fan spinning at a ridiculous speed.

At first when I was plugging the card in it would show ''Please power off and connect PCIe power''

My pc:
600W Stream Pro x Mod
P6T motherboard
18gb kingston ram
256 GB SSD Samsung drive

Val Laz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Yes I have but when I tried to turn on the first time the pc came on and shut down immediately since then when connecting the PCIe all I get is a fast spinning fan and a blank screen.

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

did you plug in ALL of the slots? I think there are two plugs, no?

Val Laz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Yes there are two slots on the GTX680, they require 6 pins per slot, I plugged them both in and still same thing, Im going to try boot up with my old FX580 Nvidia Quadro card with the GTX680 connected and check for issues, any way in running a program to check this?

Val Laz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Yes I did, they stated it was working before sending it off to me(obviously they would say that) lol

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Tell the seller it's not working. What site did youbuy this from? eBay?

Val Laz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Yes It was second hand from EBAY, he gave me some solutions without prevail:

Hi, so you done the following:

Put 2 cables in the graphics card 1x 6 pin & 1x 8 pin?

If yes to the above answer your power supply is just not powerful enough Spinning fast fans & no power to the monitor always means you need a more powerful power supply or it just needs another 8 pin connector in which case you will need a PCI Express 6 pin to 8 pin Power Adapter Cable. But this won't guarantee it will work but you can give it a try.

To be honest with you GTX 680 classified is a powerful card 600 watts most of the times should be ok but it is kinda pushing it as well and if the power supply is not from a good manufacturer then 600 watts is useless. I would personally recommend a 650 to 750 watts power supply from a good manufacturer like Corsair. Also you need to make sure the power supply has at least 4x 6 pin PCI-E connector cables this way you can use the 2x adaptor cables that came with the graphics card 1 cable has 2x 6 pin to 8 pin or if the power supply has a 8 pin cable you will only need 2x 8 pin and can connect them direct to the graphics card like I did that's the reason why I didn't need those cables so didn't open them.

My power supply is 600W dont think that would be the issue...

Val Laz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

My PSU is: ModXStream 600W, I have a P6T ASUS motherboard,
16gb Kingston Hyper X RAM
256GB SSD Drive
all connected to the power supply

Got this from the seller:
Hi, as you must be aware this card comes with a EVGA warranty over a year left you can send it to EVGA If you want to be 100% sure the card is not faulty.
This is only if you don't want to get another power supply if you do go for another power supply I would recommend for extra headroom go for a 750 watts minimum and a golden rule for power supply is never go cheap on them go for a good brand something like Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic Or Antec. I personally would recommend Corsair always have been using Corsair power supplies never had a problem my current one is a Corsair AX1200 (1200 watts)