GTX 680 vs GTX 770

Reeadon

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hi!

Current rig:
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
CPU: Intel i7 3770k 3.50GHz
GPU: Gigabyte "Windforce" GTX 680 2GB (Not OC'ed because it runs unstable if i increase the Hz my system runs unstable)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333MHz Dual Channel (Not on XMP, causes stuttering)
PSU: Corsair 1000w TX
Harddrives: 1x 240GB Corsair SSD Force Series 3 (for games), 1x 240GB Corsair SSD Force Series 3 (for windows)

So my problem is that my system is runs somewhat mediocre. My graphics driver restarts one to two times a day which is pretty unusual from when i bought the computer back in June 2012.
In BF4, I like to run at medium because then i get constantly 60+ frames, though i can go on ultra without any antialiasing, and be around 50-60 frames.
In League of Legends I get these kind of stuttering moments where everything lags, but continues after a second. This happens three times a game. And sometimes the graphics driver chrashes during the game, but returns to the game after 10 secs.

Now, my friend and I just build his computer. It has the same SSD as mine, same ram, a GTX 770 and a 4570k. He runs League without stuttering and BF4 on ultra with 70+ frames no matter what.

Do you know what my problem is? Is something in my system bottlenecking? Is my graphic card going bad? Is my CPU going bad? If i bought a GTX 770, would that fix the problems?

gcatalin

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Did you try a clean windows reinstall with the latest drivers ? I would first rule out software possibilities before doing hardware changes.

Another thing that is different, is that you have HT on the 3770k while he doesn't. This may affect games also, you could try to disable it and see if anything changes. I'm not saying it will but it may.

Then i would try to put you gpu in his computer and see if same thing happens. If it does, then it's the gpu, if not, then it's something else.

Reeadon

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I have rougly formatted my computer four times since I bought, while the last time is about two weeks ago. I think that I've ruled out software possibilities. HT is hyperthreading right? How to disable it? And I will try his graphic card out in my machine if he lets me :p

gcatalin

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
It's supposed to be in advanced setting/cpu settings or something like that. It's worth a try. After that you can either test his gpu in your system or your gpu in his system, but reinstall drivers (with clean options).

Reeadon

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I just disabled HT, and BF4 already seems like it can run Ultra with 4x antialiasing. But I will return with further information. But would you think it would be a good idea to sell the 680 and buy a 770?

Reeadon

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Well, I disabled HT and now my games run a lot more fluid. I wonder why? Going for a i5 core next time then. Though I've crashed two times I'm BF4, where I didn't before with HT on.

Reeadon

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Just stopped working. But BF4 already has many problems about chrashing.

Reeadon

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Well, HT surely helped Battlefield but I still want to know why? I actually turned on XMP to see if my system still runs unstable with it on, and it still does unfortunately. When i had it turned on for like 4 months, it ran with 5-10 more FPS in games :p