GTX 690 vs GTX 780 Ti

Zckl

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
So I was led to think that the 780 ti was now the fasted GPU, but, it looks like the 690 is still the king. Thoughts?

Solution
The GTX 690 has a 40 MHz higher core clock speed and 80 more Render Output Units than the GTX 780 Ti. This results in the GTX 690 providing 75.1 GPixel/s better pixeling performance. However, both GPUs support DirectX 9 or above, and pixeling performance is only really relevant when comparing older cards.

The GTX 780 Ti was released over a year more recently than the GTX 690, and so the GTX 780 Ti is likely to have better driver support, meaning it will be more optimized for running the latest games.

Both GPUs exhibit very powerful performance, so it probably isn't worth upgrading from one to the other, as both are capable of running even the most demanding games at the highest settings.

The GTX 690 has 5120 MB more video memory than...
The GTX 690 has a 40 MHz higher core clock speed and 80 more Render Output Units than the GTX 780 Ti. This results in the GTX 690 providing 75.1 GPixel/s better pixeling performance. However, both GPUs support DirectX 9 or above, and pixeling performance is only really relevant when comparing older cards.

The GTX 780 Ti was released over a year more recently than the GTX 690, and so the GTX 780 Ti is likely to have better driver support, meaning it will be more optimized for running the latest games.

Both GPUs exhibit very powerful performance, so it probably isn't worth upgrading from one to the other, as both are capable of running even the most demanding games at the highest settings.

The GTX 690 has 5120 MB more video memory than the GTX 780 Ti, so is likely to be much better at displaying game textures at higher resolutions. This is supported by the fact that the GTX 690 also has superior memory performance overall.

The bottom line is Nvidia is pulling out all the stops with the GTX 780 Ti in an effort to shame the R9 290X, and once again establish itself as the king of the single-GPU space. It should be noted that the GTX 780 Ti does not offer Double Precision compute performance like the GTX Titan, so CUDA developers will still prefer that card. The GTX 780 Ti is made for gamers, not scientists. I should also point out that the GTX 780 Ti supports quad-SLI, just like the GTX Titan, and the GTX 780 does not.Regardless of which one edges out the other, both are top-end cards.

Solution

690 will stop being king when the game does not support sli or when sli support accidently got broken on future driver updates :D

that is the reality of dual card. but it might save some space and such card is useful for people intended to use mobo with only one PCI-E slots. also 690 got one advantage that is not present to other dual card or normal 680 in SLI: power consumption

LHR Dovah

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Indeed. Another advantage of the 690 over dual cards is heat. Even though half the heat is dumped into your case, it's still cooler than two cards. You also save money by only having to buy 1 waterblock as well ;P

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

thanks for the tidbits of info

Blubberykollis

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013

Sorry for replying to this old comment..

But 690 only has 2048x2 memory. which leaves it with 2Gb per GPU.

2gb vram + 2gb vram = 2gb vram

Carter fields

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

Perseus B

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014

I did a comparison chart should solve any lingering concerns. I was thinking of upgrading my gtx 690 until I did this. I wouldn't say 690 is still king but it holds its own still and I think will continue to with the games being released. I fear the games on pc run into there issue because of console ports more than anything.

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark 10 Bioshock Infinite 1080p