[SOLVED] GTX 750 Ti black screen but shows in device manager

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Hello everyone I desperately need some help with this problem that I have since yesterday.

I have decided to replace my perfectly working GTS 450 so I purchased a used MSI GTX 750 Ti Twin Frozr 2GB OC card from a Marketplace posting that I have seen on Facebook. The seller mentioned that the card does not output a display and just a black screen (monitor is not so there is signal, this happens to me as well). I still decided to purchase the card which costed about $18.

So when I got home I immediately checked the card and it's back as well as the PCI E connector pins have corroded but still can be cleaned. So I did. I could not clean the small stuff on the back of the card though. I slapped it onto my PC and tried to make it boot. Here are my PC specs.

Mobo: MSI H61M-P31W8 (latest bios)
CPU: Intel Core i3 2100
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
PSU: FSP Everest 700W 80Plus (new)
Storage: 120GB SSD (OS) + 1 TB HDD (Files and stuff)
Monitor is an AOC hybrid monitor/tv/cctv which has HDMI ports 2x and a VGA port 1x. I use VGA.

Things I've already that night:

1. Reset my bios (removing cmos bat method)
  2. Setting graphics to PEG
  3. Made sure the cables and the card are sitting properly on the slots.
  4. Re-seated the card multiple times.

After not working I decided to let the night pass. This morning, I gave the card more loving by taking it apart and cleaning it applying new thermal paste. I tested it again and got some progress. If I wait a few seconds, the monitor would get a signal and even display a VGA 700x400 notice on the top right part of the monitor but the screen is just black then the GPU fans goes 100% by the noise they make.

1. Pressing the restart button does nothing.
  2. Pressing power button shuts the pc off.
  3. I removed the card, used onboard gpu, shut down pc.
  4. I install the card boot with the onboard gpu.

The card can be seen by device manager I even installed its drivers.

d73ddab6c880d7cfa65b988a7fd2e16b-full.jpg

Checking the properties though, it has an error

0a063e6488785b57ee951dbebd86d7b7-full.jpg

Other things I have done:

1. Reinstall drivers
  2. Use DDU to clean reinstall drivers
  3. Tried one ram at a time
  4. Disable intel HD Graphics

No matter how I try if I use the GPU as display output just black screen appear. I know my PCI E slot works because I can use my GTS 450 in it. I haven't used an HDMI Cable yet or a DVI adapter and I am thinking that may be the problem. But if so, why won't my vga cable work?

I hope someone can help me out.

Solution
Update. Got the card working.

So I brought the card to a repair shop and they did check the card for any shorts or any problems. Even reflow. But to no avail until they gave up. Luckily their policy was no fix no pay.

Me knowing that there is nothing wrong with the hardware, tried to do more research until I learned how to flash the bios.

So I did reflash the bios and viola! the card worked. my next steps are to stress test the card out to make sure everything works as normal.

closing this as solved.
So you bought a card that the seller said did not have output, and you tried it, no output. Which means there is no odd issue, you already knew it was broken but was just hoping whoever sold it did not try anything to troubleshoot.

Check all the ports, if none of them work, card is bad, which was already known.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
So you bought a card that the seller said did not have output, and you tried it, no output. Which means there is no odd issue, you already knew it was broken but was just hoping whoever sold it did not try anything to troubleshoot.

Check all the ports, if none of them work, card is bad, which was already known.

Thanks for the response. I haven't checked the ports yet and I haven't tried it on another motherboard which I will do so. If that does not work, since the product no longer has a warranty, I'll bring it to a repair shop which uses an infrared machine to fix graphics cards. The shop has a very good reputation and I've seen lots of people recommended it. Its cheap so I'll give it a shot. I'll update the thread as soon as I found out what's causing the issue.

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Update. Got the card working.

So I brought the card to a repair shop and they did check the card for any shorts or any problems. Even reflow. But to no avail until they gave up. Luckily their policy was no fix no pay.

Me knowing that there is nothing wrong with the hardware, tried to do more research until I learned how to flash the bios.

So I did reflash the bios and viola! the card worked. my next steps are to stress test the card out to make sure everything works as normal.

closing this as solved.

Solution