GTX 750 Ti - lookign for a good i3 CPU

Vineeth_55

Reputable
Apr 22, 2016
I'm in India and its hard to find any good components at decent prices so I figured you guys would know since this is where knowledgeable people gather. Also I know what the specs mean individually but I have no idea how they all interact with each other so forgive me if I ask any silly questions

the game I have in mind in Planetside 2.......... yes the mmofps thats a resource hog during big battles and need optimization

I'm building a new pc and decided to go with a GTX 750 Ti 2GB due to it offering good performance at a lower price and I'm getting 8 GB RAM to go with it, now I need a good cpu

I know an i3 6100 would be good but I'd like to know what other i3 I can use and get a decent performance (not very high or ultra... I prefer playing PS2 on mid setting) also what PSU will I need and any other component ?
if it can run the game and give a good performance then I'd like to know about it

Solution
The g3258 doesn't compare to an i3.

An i3-4### (no T or anything at the end, those are bad) will work nearly as well as an i3-6100, but the 6100 is the most future proof and gives you a better upgrade path to more current i5s and i7s. Note: the i3-6### and i3-4### use different types of motherboards.

A 750Ti 4GB version won't really do much because the card isn't really powerful enough to run anything that would really use that much vram, only if you were trying to run like 1440p resolution would that be useful, but that's still more than you'd want to try and put on a 750ti.

While it's true any 500watt PSU could "run the system" it's never a good idea to buy the cheapest one you can find because they are going to be very prone to...

Morad Tamer

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016
Basically any core i3 would be fine ,but i recommend a core i5 if you can afford purchasing it supposing you will to install other games but still a core i3 is fine
Also I find people building budget gaming PCs use a Pentium G3258 (3M Cache, 3.20 GHz)
its full specs here ""http://ark.intel.com/products/82723/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3258-3M-Cache-3_20-GHz?q=G3258""
You can also find more processors from Intel on ""http://ark.intel.com/""

Also Speaking on the GTX 750 ti I advise you to buy the 4 GB version provided that you didn't buy any component of your PC yet

And Last for the PSU any thing that is 500 Watts is fair enough but i recommend you to buy a 550 Watts or even a 600 Watts PSU
Note that for your particular build any 500 Watts PSU that isn't even 80 plus bronze will be just fine but it must have a 6 pin PCI power connector or a 6+2 pin PCI power connector

The g3258 doesn't compare to an i3.

An i3-4### (no T or anything at the end, those are bad) will work nearly as well as an i3-6100, but the 6100 is the most future proof and gives you a better upgrade path to more current i5s and i7s. Note: the i3-6### and i3-4### use different types of motherboards.

A 750Ti 4GB version won't really do much because the card isn't really powerful enough to run anything that would really use that much vram, only if you were trying to run like 1440p resolution would that be useful, but that's still more than you'd want to try and put on a 750ti.

While it's true any 500watt PSU could "run the system" it's never a good idea to buy the cheapest one you can find because they are going to be very prone to alot of other issues down the line. A i3-750ti system only needs about a 200watts if that, and there are plenty of good 320-350W PSUs out there.

Solution

Vineeth_55

Reputable
Apr 22, 2016

so for a gtx 750 ti whats the difference between a 2GB and 4GB version ?

and which one is better for my rig ?

Morad Tamer

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016
For the G3258 i don't need anyone to tell me that it doesn't compare to any i3
but i was speaking on overclock-ability as the G3258 can be overclocked to 4.4 GHz while it is still have the 2 core the i3 have and it very much cheaper than than the i3

It's not a question of better, it's a question of whether the 4GB version will actually be able to use the 4GBs it has. The 750ti is good, but its' not really capable of pushing 4GBs good. If you want to try running a 4k or 1440p monitor on the 750ti, which is not a great idea, the 4GB version would be better at that than the 2GB version.

If you have a regular 1920x1080 or lower resolution monitor the 2GB version is enough.

The G3258 is also prone to stuttering issues in a lot of games. Clocking it that high makes it perform only AS WELL AS an i3. And to OC it that high you have to spend more money on an OCing mobo and aftermarket coolers, so you'll probably spend more on it than you would to just get an i3 and a cheap mobo for the i3.