GTX 760 at 45º on desktop and 75+ in every game

teixi.cat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I've been having this problem for some time and tried to solve it in many ways. None of it worked.

I don't really know what happens to my GPU that it gets to 75º+ while playing anything. In WoW, Destiny 2 and even in minecraft (without shaders).

The problem is that i don't even see the coolers going crazy when i reach those temps, and i think they should. I formatted my pc today just in case the problem was a bugged version of afterburner or something strange but right now it's at 82º with minecraft. The fans are extremely quiet, so i guess they're not working at maximum speed, but afterburner shows 100% gpu fan.

What's more, with my last gpu (gts 250) while playing i was at 70º more or less, and after closing the game, the temp went to ~35º in just some seconds. But i've never seen that with the GTX 760. It just cools like 1º every 1-2min like if the fans weren't working.

I cleaned the fans (3) of the gpu and both heatsinks and it doesn't work.

I can understand that, destiny 2, for example, makes it work hard and puts it to 80º, but WoW? Minecraft? Starbound? They shouldn't be heating it more than 55-60º (like it was happening when i had the 250 GTS)

So, what could i try to make the gpu work properly? How can i see what's going wrong there?

Thats normal for a GPU actually. Unlike a CPU as GPU is usually at a fixed idle due to how the designers designed it to operate. Mine for example is 50C idle, and when the games start my GPU never goes above 69C pretty much as the fans go faster to avoid the temp increase but are still dead silent as i have an MSI card which are known for their quiet running.

Your fans aren't speeding up faster as they don't need to speed up any faster as the temp is not increasing due to them doing a good job at keeping the GPU cool in the first place (55-80C is normal load temps).

Your GPU is fine.

I could be playing a game at 100fps maxed 1440 but only be at 60C. I could play Wolfenstein the New Order which is engine capped to 60fps and my GPU is still at 60ishC. While working a GPU will usually stay at a fixed operating temp that the designer have designed the card to run at and for the fans to work to keep it that way.

teixi.cat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
It would be normal if it weren't that yesterday i was at 15fps in WoW due to the temp. And was being kicked from destiny automatically due to low fps (8-12).

teixi.cat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I just formatted yesterday (that means, drivers were uninstalled).

Right now i downloaded afterburner again and changed the curve to make the fans go 100% but it's still at 82º with minecraft. I can't test it right now with a GPU demanding game like destiny because i have to redownload it yet but it's just not normal.

I can obviously change the gpu but i think there's a problem that can be fixed without wasting money. I just need to know what it's happening here (if i put a typical fan for summer, the temp goes down properly).

Oh, and to add info, the gpu works properly after, suspiciously, makes a sudden automatic high revolution moment and then stops (imagine giving gas to a car, that sound but with the gpu). I have never discovered why the gpu does that thing but every time it does, it changes from working to not working and viceversa (if you know what could it be, i would really appreciate it)

EDIT: Is that normal too? ... https://gyazo.com/1ceccb47520e60e725236182c874c885