Feb 14, 2014
Hello all,

I recently assembled my first computer consisting of:
-i5 3570k cpu
-msi geforce gtx 760 graphics card
-asrock z77 extreme 4 MOBO
-600w corsair cx 600m psu
-12 GB ram

-It ran fine connected to my monitor as long as the graphics card is not plugged in (able to run windows 8 normally etc...)
-In attempting to install the 760 I uninstalled the intel integrated graphics and hooked everything up. Upon restarting I get a black screen no matter if my monitor is connected to the 760's port or the mobo. (I did not uninstall the integrated graphics drivers from bios as I can't find them there)
-I am able to access bios during post, (the mobo has an overview graphic that shows all the connections such as hom much ram you have and your cpu, the 760 does show up as in the correct pci slot as an nvidia card).
-Weirdly after I disconnect the 760 (reconnecting the motherboard to the monitor) I still black screen.

-UPDATE managed to get it working, didn't have the right connectors going, very amateur mistake but it was my first time. Thanks for the responses!

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Solution
The fact you have the same black screen when the VGA card is out and you using the on-board video sounds like a motherboard issue you may have a bad BIOS or motherboard. If you can't get back into BIOS perhaps you can hit the clear CMOS buttom or remove the battery so it clears. You'll have to go back in to BIOS and detect hardware again like your hard drive.

You can try a few other things to see it it helps. Be sure you have the PCI-E graphics selected in the BIOS when you get back into it. Be sure you have the power connectors to the VGA card connected correctly and the card is seated in the slot with the bus seated all the way into the slot.
The fact you have the same black screen when the VGA card is out and you using the on-board video sounds like a motherboard issue you may have a bad BIOS or motherboard. If you can't get back into BIOS perhaps you can hit the clear CMOS buttom or remove the battery so it clears. You'll have to go back in to BIOS and detect hardware again like your hard drive.

You can try a few other things to see it it helps. Be sure you have the PCI-E graphics selected in the BIOS when you get back into it. Be sure you have the power connectors to the VGA card connected correctly and the card is seated in the slot with the bus seated all the way into the slot.

Solution