Question GTX 760 SC overheating

Aug 14, 2024
so i bought gtx 760 and the problem is its overheat i dont have case coolers but i have exchaust fan for case the case in inside is not hot but still my gpu goes up 90 i dont know what is problem i think it may be supply i have
350watt supply but it has high ampers
my pc specs is gtx 760 i5 4690 2x4 ram ddr 3 h81 mother and one hard drive
so what i can do idle temp is 41 last i was playing sekiro about 2 hours straight and i smelled something burn opened case put my hand on card and it was burning i think it hit 90 plus i am sure so what to do and its only 2 gb version of card evga

Try using something like MSI Afterburner which has a fan curve setting, you have to enable it in settings, you can set the fans more aggressively to see if it helps at all with the cooling. Btw I believe the gtx 760 recommends a 450 watt psu.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the first thing to do would be to increase airflow in the system. Add intake fans if possible. Run without the side panel to see if that helps.

GPUs are designed to get hot, they push themselves until they do. Typical Nvidia throttle point is 83C though, so getting up to 90C isn't great. To reduce temps you can either limit the frame rate in the game you are running by using V-sync or something. You may also need to reduce game settings so that GPU isn't hitting 100% usage all the time.

PSU would not have an effect on the GPU temperature. It is a little small for the system though.

170W GPU, 84W CPU which is about 250W on its own. Though the CPU isn't likely to pull 84W while gaming.

Aug 14, 2024
Try using something like MSI Afterburner which has a fan curve setting, you have to enable it in settings, you can set the fans more aggressively to see if it helps at all with the cooling. Btw I believe the gtx 760 recommends a 450 watt psu.
ye the recommended is 500 or greater that is why i think it may be supply and its not enough for all components that causes instability in system and overheat not only gpu whole system components is overheating

Aug 14, 2024
Sounds like the first thing to do would be to increase airflow in the system. Add intake fans if possible. Run without the side panel to see if that helps.

GPUs are designed to get hot, they push themselves until they do. Typical Nvidia throttle point is 83C though, so getting up to 90C isn't great. To reduce temps you can either limit the frame rate in the game you are running by using V-sync or something. You may also need to reduce game settings so that GPU isn't hitting 100% usage all the time.

PSU would not have an effect on the GPU temperature. It is a little small for the system though.

170W GPU, 84W CPU which is about 250W on its own. Though the CPU isn't likely to pull 84W while gaming.
if its not psu fault than i dont know what it is i have latest drivers i reinstalled drivers more than 100 times still no result i am playing at lowest graphics 1080 p i have limited my frames already the temp for this gpu is 97 max but i know that other guys on this gpu note getting past 75

Aug 14, 2024
if its not psu fault than i dont know what it is i have latest drivers i reinstalled drivers more than 100 times still no result i am playing at lowest graphics 1080 p i have limited my frames already the temp for this gpu is 97 max but i know that other guys on this gpu note getting past 75
and i forgot my gpu doesnt give 100 percent it only uses 60 and if its overheat at 60 than i dont know what it do in stress test my house will blow up

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Then the GPU itself is overheating. You need to take it apart and re-do the thermal compound and clean out any dust while you are in there.

That, or get yourself a more efficient GPU. GTX1050 is about the same performance and a lot less power.

Aug 14, 2024
Then the GPU itself is overheating. You need to take it apart and re-do the thermal compound and clean out any dust while you are in there.

That, or get yourself a more efficient GPU. GTX1050 is about the same performance and a lot less power.
i tried that to i changed thermal paste so many times no result i want to change this gpu with rx 580 and can it be that this gpu is defective?

Aug 14, 2024

btw if my gpu fants works at 100 will it do damage after time?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Possible, but not very common for a GPU to have a serious fault and still function as a GPU.

Are you sure you are assembling the card correctly? Not too long ago we had someone that overtightening the GPU cooler and making it lose contact with the GPU.

RX580 is a little bit more power hungry, particularly through the PCIe slot if memory serves. Not a great unit for a lower end motherboard.

Reactions: stonecarver

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
btw if my gpu fants works at 100 will it do damage after time?

Not really while spinning, unless the bearing has already shown signs of failure. The fan is already pretty old at this point so that is a possibility. It may wear it out faster, but at this point that doesn't matter too much. Worst case you get another case fan, put it at 100%, or hook it directly to the PSU, and point it at the GPU heatsink.

Aug 14, 2024
Possible, but not very common for a GPU to have a serious fault and still function as a GPU.

Are you sure you are assembling the card correctly? Not too long ago we had someone that overtightening the GPU cooler and making it lose contact with the GPU.

RX580 is a little bit more power hungry, particularly through the PCIe slot if memory serves. Not a great unit for a lower end motherboard.
so my case is small https://ibb.co/cgz1TxM so this is pic of my pc i hope it loads u can see and tell if something wrong

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks pretty normal for a system like that. The question is does the front panel have any air intakes and can you add a fan to the front.

Did removing the side panel have an impact on the GPU temperatures?

Aug 14, 2024
Looks pretty normal for a system like that. The question is does the front panel have any air intakes and can you add a fan to the front.

Did removing the side panel have an impact on the GPU temperatures?
this is exactly what i tried today but this case doesnt have fan panels so i cant it has something like fan panels but it says ssd everywhere i can only set one mini fan the one like on pic but i dont have fan hubs still this little fan doesnt give me much difference i tried setting fan curve i hope it helps i will try gaming now and see temps

i am going to get big cube case in next 2 months so that will be better and i will build new system i am tired this shit potato pcs