GTX 770 or GTX 780 for my new build?

I am

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hello all I just had a few questions about my upcoming build. This will be my first bill and it will be for gaming only. I will be gaming at 1080p max res and want a computer that is fast!

First of all I was wondering if I should get the gtx 770 or 780. My understanding is a 780 would only benefit people gaming with a resolution higher than 1080p is this correct?

Second based on these two graphic cards what is the cheapest Intel processor I can buy. I understand the i5 is more practical for gaming as well as cheaper then the i7. But I don't want to overclock my CPU and I was wondering if I got a cheaper one than the 3570K would I have any bottlenecking issues? Also I really would like to use the stock cooler would that be a problem with any of the i5 processors?

Thank you very much for the advice I really appreciate it!

Solution
With a single monitor at 1080, both of those GPUs are overkill. If you want to choose between them, the 770 is probably your best bet. A GTX 650 Ti would be another good option (or HD 7850 / HD 7870 if you want to look toward AMD).

On the CPU front, even though you aren't planning to overclock, the i5-3570k (unlocked version) is still the best choice. At $10 more than the non-K version you keep overclocking options open for down the road. If you are dead set against overclocking, then save the few $ and put that somewhere else in the build. The stock CPU cooler is fine when not overclocking. You have no issues to worry about with bottlenecking with that type of setup until you want to game on multiple monitors at high / ultra detail.
With a single monitor at 1080, both of those GPUs are overkill. If you want to choose between them, the 770 is probably your best bet. A GTX 650 Ti would be another good option (or HD 7850 / HD 7870 if you want to look toward AMD).

On the CPU front, even though you aren't planning to overclock, the i5-3570k (unlocked version) is still the best choice. At $10 more than the non-K version you keep overclocking options open for down the road. If you are dead set against overclocking, then save the few $ and put that somewhere else in the build. The stock CPU cooler is fine when not overclocking. You have no issues to worry about with bottlenecking with that type of setup until you want to game on multiple monitors at high / ultra detail.

Solution

I am

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Thanks, I am aware they are both over kill but I think I will go with the 770 as I really don't have an extra $250 laying around..

As for the stock heat sink I am glad to hear it will work. I will most likely wait and get a haswell chip, might as well have the latest and greatest right?! ;-)

I am-1329572

Honorable
May 30, 2013

So would using the stock cooler affect my gaming performance? In other words if my cpu is at 75c or 40c it will still perform the same right?

The only thing that would impact is any "turbo" mode that the CPU may have. Modern CPUs will only increase the clock speed (turbo) for short periods of time IF there is thermal headroom. IMHO, skip any AMD stock cooler just for noise reasons. The stock Intel cooler is fine on the noise front.

CM Hyper 212+ - $20 after rebate => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
-...or opt up to the newer Hyper 212 EVO. Both are fine.
CM GeminII M4 (Low Profile) - $25 after rebate => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-103-177&Tpk=35-103-177