GTX 770 or GTX 780

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dom_79

Distinguished
I can pick-up an EVGA GTX 770 4GB Classified new or a EVGA GTX 780 Classified Refurbished for about the same price... Which one would you guys pick?

I game at 1920x1080 on one monitor but run a second (same res) and would like to be able to watch vids (in 1080) and Skype on the second while in-game. Let me know if any other factors might make a difference and I appreciate anyone who has experience with refurbished EVGA products chiming in ;)

Solution

if it is a manufactured refurbished 780 from a trusted site....then i'd say go for it...they're set to the manufacturer standard so i doubt you'll experience any problems, plus they have warranty as well (not as long as non refurbished ones but oh well)
yea you might want to run some stress...

Dom_79

Distinguished
*UPDATE*

Saturday May 31st I placed the order for the refurbished 780. All seemed well until Sunday June 1st when I received an e-mail that it was out of stock and they wouldn't be able to fill my order. There is also no guarantee that they will get more stock of that refurb so they refunded my money.

Since I had been doing much research on both cards I had seen many benchmark comparisons between the GTX 770 4GB (that was my second choice) and the 2GB 770. It appears that at my resolution (1920x1080) single monitor (for gaming) the 4GB and slightly higher clock (1150 vs 1111 for the EVGA models) did not result in a significant gain for 100$ more.

So I bought the EVGA GTX 770 2GB SC. Thanks for all the help even though in the end I went with a lesser card than the two I was debating.

Dom_79

Distinguished

Well, I've had it in for a couple days and only tried a couple games (Fallout NV with a few texture mods) and they look just as good but with no stutter/lag (except DayZ SA but tri-SLI Titans would too ;) )

Still having slight choppiness/stutter/lag when watching vids on second monitor even when not doing anything but browsing or nothing at all on first monitor. Checked with different DVI cable, switched plugs on GPU... oh well it's only very slightly noticeable with the 770 whereas before it would always become VERY noticeable and annoying with the 650 Ti.

Thanks again to everyone for the input/advice even though I went a different way in the end. Definitely helped :D