GTX 780 Ti vs AMD Radeon HD 7970

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Hello,

My GTX 780 Ti stopped working for some reason, I sent it to the shop to get it replaced.
They said they're going to replace it with either AMD Radeon HD 7970 or (I will find out the other one on Monday).

I'm just not sure about Radeon 7970. Is it as good as 780 Ti?
Should I take it or should I ask them to give me something better? Perferrably a 780 Ti if they have one.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
7970 will give you less performance than the 780Ti for sure. The 780Ti offers similar performance to the GTX980. But assuming that they'll replace the 780TI with the 980 is foolhardy. So, if I were you, I'd accept only a 290X or a GTX 970 if you don't like AMD

However, If your card is still in the warranty period, it's your right to get a replacement with the same model

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Yes, it's still in the warranty period, otherwise they wouldn't have accepted to replace it in the first place.

Last time my GTX 780 got hit, and they replaced it with GTX 780 Ti, but I had to pay an extra 150$ which is understandable.
But this is taking it a bit too far.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Thats true, will depend on the price of the 980, if a 780Ti is not available the next suitable replacement would be near worth would probably be the 970 i would have thought.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

I think the number 7 is very unlucky for you =D

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Yes, I think number 7 is very unlucky hehe

I just called the shop again, I told them I cannot accept the AMD Radeon because it's way inferior to 780 Ti.
I said I will only accept a replacement 780 Ti (they said they are out of stock) or I will take GTX 980 instead, I don't know if I'll pay any extra considering GTX 980 is cheaper than 780 Ti

I'm gonna have to wait til monday to find out.

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Asking for 980Ti is a little bit greedy on my end hehe
I'd love to get one but I'll settle for less.

Please keep in mind that in my country, electronics such as this one are 15% more expensive than the amazon price.

But what if they said you either get the Radeon or you get nothing. What do I do then?

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I'd say that you bought a certain level of performance with the 780Ti. As such, any replacement under warranty should offer the same level of the performance you paid for.

I disagree with CreationP on that. Try to resolve things peacefully because they can legally screw you over in a thousand different ways

CreationP

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Sueing someone is really the last thing you should do when everything else has failed. It would be better to actually try to solve things by speaking to the manager or the mother company.

Don't forget that employees don't really give a shiet about the company but the manager does and he would not want to lose a customer.

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Unfortunately, we do not have ombudsman and suing them will achieve nothing.
However, we do have a Consumer Protection Law that I can call and complain about a shop or a business.

I hope it doesn't get that far.

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
This is an update.

They accepted to replace the GTX 780 Ti with a GTX 980 but I have to pay a price difference of $60 USD.
Weird because 980 costs less than 780 Ti,
But I'm gonna pay it anyway.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Good to hear back from you, glad it worked out.

780Ti is more expensive because it's still popular (For Sli or whatnot) and is less of them so price goes up because of demand, people will pay.

You got a really good deal im happy for you. 780Ti and 980 are pretty much the same as mentioned above + you have an extra 1gb Vram :)

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Thank you.

I am really happy with the outcome, to be honest, I wanted the 980, from what I've read about it, it looks like a nice (however small) upgrade to the 780 Ti.

Can someone explain what is it with 780 Ti and SLI?
You can't run 2 GPUs with 980?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Of course you can run SLI 980s, there's nothing more special about the 780Ti that would make the 980 inferior. The 780Ti is still a decent performer and would find it quite common those who already have one want a second to complete their future endeavors to SLi and just couldn't afford two at the time.

ufodisko

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Hey guys, it's me again, I have another update.

I just got the new GTX 980, but turns out the power cable is too short. It's an 8-pin plug that goes in the GPU and 2 6-pin plugs that go into the PSU.

Is this normal? Do I just need to go out and buy an extension for the cable or is it more sinister?
Also, do I need to plug both the cables into the PSU or just 1?

EDIT: this is the card they gave me
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-matrix-platinum-geforce-gtx-980,4061.html

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry getting back to you late, the PCIe supplementary power adapter cable from what you're saying doesn't sound right and sound like it's arse about.

Going by the review link to here, that card needs 2x 8pin connectors.
First page, 6th picture of the card down,
Asus leverages two eight-pin connectors

For that card, if your PSU is modular will have 2x 8pin PCIe connector plugs. The PCIe wires to the GPU will originate from an 8 wire beginning from the PSU and to a split with a 6+2pin end to the GPU, being an 6 or 8 pin GPU, the ends are designed to separate, that's why its a 6+2pin.